Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H1B visa/i-140 approved/want to pursue Masters in US/Internships

Hi,

I am on a software professional working on H1B visa. My i-140 is approved and my PD is Jan 16.

I am planning to pursue MS in the US. Is it possible for me to pursue the degree as a part-time student?
    Generally, all curriculums require students to enroll in internships at the end of the program in order to earn the degree. My understanding is that the employers hire OPTs, CPTs, GC or USC for internships. The employers generally avoid hiring H1Bs as college passouts.

I want to know how I can get placed for the internships at the end of my program.

Thanks.
    UK

Yes you can be on H1B and also join part time student in the college. But once you are on H1B, F1 (including OPT) are ruled out for you unless you change yourself to different status by applying petition i.e F1.
    It is not advisable, be on H1B and if you desire apply for college part time.
    Secondly, if you look for internship, the pay will be half of what you will make through H1B

Comment

Originally posted by sunnyjaguars View Post
      Yes you can be on H1B and also join part time student in the college. But once you are on H1B, F1 (including OPT) are ruled out for you unless you change yourself to different status by applying petition i.e F1.
      It is not advisable, be on H1B and if you desire apply for college part time.
      Secondly, if you look for internship, the pay will be half of what you will make through H1B
      Thanks Sunny for your quick response.

The salary in the internship is not much of a concern to me. The only concern is I want to gain expertise in the field. Also, are there any internship employers out there who can match the minimum salary requirements in my LCA? Or are there any substitutions available for the internship?

Thanks.
      UK

Comment

You might be lucky if you find out, but its hard. I did not see any case like that unless you have some Managerial references of the person working in the company and he is close to you.
        Else this option is fade.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X