Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Impact of timing of divorce after 10yr GC on naturalization

Hi,

Parts of my question have been answered in other threads but there is another aspect to the divorce/GC question that I'd like to get some help on. Thanks in advance!

About me:
    I've been in the US for 14.5 years on F1/H1b. I also have an eb2 GC application pending (140 has cleared. Waiting for may 2010 priority date to become current). I'm married to a US citizen and have been married for 5 years. We don't own property or have kids but sufficient evidence of co-mingling - joint bank accounts, health and autominsurance, own a car together, joint tax returns etc. I recently applied for marriage based GC. Expected to get it in July august 2017.

Situation:
    My wife (USC) and I have had 5 good years of marriage but it definitely heading for a divorce. Fortunately there is no animosity or bitterness. It's just come to that stage where going separate ways is just better for both of us. She is willing to wait till I get my GC before applying for a divorce. Since we've been married for 5 years, I understand that I'll get the 10 year GC.

My questions:
    1. Can someone please confirm this - From reading other threads, I have learned that divorce after getting the 10 year GC will not affect it in any way.
    2. Can I apply for a divorce soon after getting the GC? Like in a couple of weeks? Or is there an advisable waiting time frame?
    3. Say 5 or 6 years down the line, I apply for naturalization - since I'm divorced from the person who sponsored my GC, will there be extra scrutiny? I should have enough evidence of a true good faith marriage (see about me section above). But I'm worried about the timing of divorce - will applying for divorce immediately after getting the GC cause problems?
    4. If the risk is high, would you suggest that I withdraw the marriage based application and fall back on the work sponsored eb2 GC?

Thanks a lot for your answers and help.

Any help is greatly appreciated please!

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X