F-1 Visa Employment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F-1 Visa Employment

Hi, I am Minyul Lee, international student studying in University of California at San Diego. My major is Chemical Engineering, and this is my second year in college.

I read the student visa employment in this webiste. It has always been my question about getting part time job off-campus, that is not related to my major. It is bartending. I have always wanted to learn and get an experience as a bartender in the United States as one of my interests. I talked to the advisor in the International center, and unfortunately was told that I can't get a job outside the campus if it's not related to my major no matter how long I studied in America.
    I'm still desperate and passionate to learn bartending as my part time job in America. Is there anyway I can get a permit? I'm very desperate that I would still work as a bartender even if they didn't pay me. I heard one of my friends who was not yet a resident in USA got a special permit to be able to get a job here.
    Is there going to be anyway I can make an appeal to it?

Thank you so much for your consideration.
    Sincerely, Minyul Lee

Originally posted by duf214 View Post
    Hi, I am Minyul Lee, international student studying in University of California at San Diego. My major is Chemical Engineering, and this is my second year in college.

I read the student visa employment in this webiste. It has always been my question about getting part time job off-campus, that is not related to my major. It is bartending. I have always wanted to learn and get an experience as a bartender in the United States as one of my interests. I talked to the advisor in the International center, and unfortunately was told that I can't get a job outside the campus if it's not related to my major no matter how long I studied in America.
    I'm still desperate and passionate to learn bartending as my part time job in America. Is there anyway I can get a permit? I'm very desperate that I would still work as a bartender even if they didn't pay me. I heard one of my friends who was not yet a resident in USA got a special permit to be able to get a job here.
    Is there going to be anyway I can make an appeal to it?

Thank you so much for your consideration.
    Sincerely, Minyul Lee
    First of all, remove your full name and personal information. It's not wise at all to put all of these information up here, especially with what you're asking.
    Second, it is true that you cannot work outside of the campus if you're an international student. You can still get the job,whether they pay or not, but that's under-the-table work aka illegal. It's not rare as I've known international students who did this, but beware that if you work with no permit as an F1 student, you will get into trouble with the Immigration department and the store themselves. Some owners are willing to pay a little cash for F1 students but some know better because they don't want to mess with the law.
    You can get EAD through OPT which is an option for F1 student to work legally. Your friend might have this, or he/she might apply AOS and got work permit. Remember your friend and you don't share the same background and situation. If he/she has it, it doesnt mean you'll be able to do the same. There's no way to appeal because international students arent supposed to work. You came here to study. You can try to apply for on-campus job to get SSN but it will limit you for on-campus job only. It's up to you and I'm not encouraging you to do anything but remember the consequences and possible risk from whatever decision you make. Good luck

Comment

Good advice Minahqq. I strongly agree with removing any confidential/personal info. posted here. Also the OPT option is available after the completion of your studies, while CPT (same as OPT) is the option available during the course of your studies. However, both the options allow you to work only in an area related to your course of study, and hence the advice from the international students office. My personal advice would be to postpone your bartender interests until you finish your studies, and file for your GC/AOS. The risks involved with your current situation are not worth it.
      Just an opinion; Not legal advice.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X