Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marriage base AOS green card approved

Hi Everyone,

I would like share our experience about our case and try to get as much as detail as possible and hope that can help you.

My wife just received her GC. AOS from F-1 Visa. Our process is kinda smooth and simple. I can only say this is because our case got approved. But we were worried as hell as some of yostill waiting for next step of action or when you have bunch of questions at some point. So I would like to share our experience and provide as much as detail about our case and hope this can ease your mind.

The most difficult issue we have encountered was re-scheduling the interview. If you are experiencing same situation as mine, please read.

Below are out timeline, Filed from CA, field office Santa Ana, CA

4/28/2016 File sent to Chicago processing center

I-130, I-131, I-485, I-765, I-864ez, I-693, G-325A filed all together. Well organized, and provided as much and accurate as possible. (Try to avoid "RFE") We even have cover page and exhibit with all tax return and W-2 of petitioner, marriage certificate...etc (I have read so many threads that they didn't submit all forms and necessary document and caused delay) We even did our own passport style photos.

04/29/2016 Case received, Priority Date 04/29/2016

05/12/2016 Notice of Action of case received for I-130, I-131, I-485, I-765

05/27/2016 Notice of Action - Biometric appointment

06/13/2016 Biometric appointment

The case was stay quiet for some time since then. Many of people started getting panic during this period, because most of people needed their EAD or advance parole to get approved. We tried to called many times, and all we got is the same answer "Please wait for 90 days for processing" We were a bit panic because we are hitting our first bump. We do have travel plan for our wedding reception hold at oversea. My wife will need advance parole to re-enter the U.S. and not to get stamped.

***Side note, if you are traveling with AP. Please show it at the time when you hand your passport to immigration officer at custom. If your passport to get stamped B1/B2 or visitor visa, all your application are forfeited and you will need to re-apply!!!!!!!!***

07/25/2016 I-131 and I-765 approved. NO surprise here. Exactly day 90!!!!! (So if you are file everything correctly and accurately, don't worry)

07/28/2016 EAD and AP combo card received.

Now we have come the second bump. Since we received combo card, and I-485 online status changed to "Ready to schedule interview." But all process seems to stop. After some checking, we found our field office is "Santa Ana". So we went online and check I-485 processing time at our field office. It was showed still processing Dec, 2015 which is 7 month delayed. We made infopass to visit our field office, because our travel date is from end of September and come back in early November.

08/30/2016 Infopass appointment with field office. The counter clerk confirmed the field office is 7 months delayed, and estimated our interview will hold in Dec, 2016 or later. We have also asked if somehow our interview got scheduled during our absence, what should we do? He just said make sure we brought our itinerary such as flight ticket as proof, and they will re-schedule the interview. After the appointment, we have a peace of mind and start planning our travel back to hometown to have our wedding reception with our family and friends.

09/20/2016 Interview is scheduled!!!!!!!!!!!! During my business trip, I received a text and email from USCIS to notify the status was changed for our case. After check, it was notify me that our interview was scheduled on 10/25/2016. We got panic! We will be outside of country during the interview time. We certainly can't change of our plan now. Try to make infopass right away, but earliest date is 09/28/2016, and my wife is leaving on 09/23/2016.

09/26/2016 Called the number on the interview notice and try to re-schedule interview date and stated the reason. The representative help me to submit the request after I asked for help 3 times. I recorded the request number after he helped us submit request. (very important! record it, in case your case get denied for not showing up on the interview date)

10/06/2016 Got email regarding the request of re-scheduling interview date. They received the request, and will notify us when new date is scheduled.

10/24/2016 Notice of re-schedule interview. We were traveling oversea and no one is receiving mail for us. (Hold at USPS). Came back in November from oversea. New interview date is 11/28/2016. We were blessed that our new interview time is after we return to the US.

***When you use AP to re-enter to the US, you will need to go to "the ROOM" it was easy because they just need to check the validation of the card. But you may need to wait more than an hour because there are just too many people in there waiting in line to inspect (LAX).)

11/28/2016 Interview Appointment

We didn't prepare very well. My wife doesn't speak much English, and we didn't bring any translator. We were scared for awhile. I have known my wife for 16 years, and we dated 4 years then got married. For us, the marriage is natural and simple. We didn't think much. We got married Jan, 2016. We don't have joint account. below are the document we have prepared. (Please make copy of everything, we didn't, so the officer couldn't get everything that he wants. He even took the only copy of apartment leasing agreement)

Wedding reception photo with our parents and family and friends
    Photos of our life (travels, some with friends, some with our pet, a chinchilla. I must said, they are cutest)
    Apartment leasing agreement with both our name on it
    Friends wedding invitation address to us (both name)
    Our wedding reception invitation
    Marriage certificate
    Auto insurance proof

Our interview is only 15 - 20 mins. First we arrived 25 mins before the scheduled time. After sitting in the area for another 20 mins passed our original scheduled time, I felt thirsty and trying to look for water, then our name got called. When we first entered to his room, he starts to speak and ask us to pull all the supporting document and separated to two piles. One is original and one is copies that he can take. I wasn't listened to him, because I noticed he has quite collection of action figure in his room, and I am a collector too, so I kinda paying more attention to his collection. Then we started to chat. So basically he reviewed and asked same question on the form I-485 to make sure everything answered on the form were correct. Then he asked us to show supporting document and ask how long we were married. We explained when and where were we on every photos. Then he started to check all my wife I-94 records and couple verification. He did asked some other causal questions like how we met and how's the trip overseas while he keeps writing, clicking mouse, and typing. After 15 mins, he said "I will recommend approval on your case, congratulations!" We got our case approved on the spot.

11/28/2016 2 hours after interview, got a text of status change. Check online, Case approved. Then other 2 hours pass, got another text. Card is in production.

11/30/2016 Card mailed.

12/02/2016 Card received.

I know this is long post, and I hope this can give you some idea and ease your mind.

Congratulations!!!

Comment

Originally posted by kevin720616 View Post
      Hi Everyone,

I would like share our experience about our case and try to get as much as detail as possible and hope that can help you.

My wife just received her GC. AOS from F-1 Visa. Our process is kinda smooth and simple. I can only say this is because our case got approved. But we were worried as hell as some of yostill waiting for next step of action or when you have bunch of questions at some point. So I would like to share our experience and provide as much as detail about our case and hope this can ease your mind.

The most difficult issue we have encountered was re-scheduling the interview. If you are experiencing same situation as mine, please read.

I-130, I-131, I-485, I-765, I-864ez, I-693, G-325A filed all together. Well organized, and provided as much and accurate as possible. (Try to avoid "RFE") We even have cover page and exhibit with all tax return and W-2 of petitioner, marriage certificate...etc (I have read so many threads that they didn't submit all forms and necessary document and caused delay) We even did our own passport style photos.

The case was stay quiet for some time since then. Many of people started getting panic during this period, because most of people needed their EAD or advance parole to get approved. We tried to called many times, and all we got is the same answer "Please wait for 90 days for processing" We were a bit panic because we are hitting our first bump. We do have travel plan for our wedding reception hold at oversea. My wife will need advance parole to re-enter the U.S. and not to get stamped.

***Side note, if you are traveling with AP. Please show it at the time when you hand your passport to immigration officer at custom. If your passport to get stamped B1/B2 or visitor visa, all your application are forfeited and you will need to re-apply!!!!!!!!***

07/25/2016 I-131 and I-765 approved. NO surprise here. Exactly day 90!!!!! (So if you are file everything correctly and accurately, don't worry)

Now we have come the second bump. Since we received combo card, and I-485 online status changed to "Ready to schedule interview." But all process seems to stop. After some checking, we found our field office is "Santa Ana". So we went online and check I-485 processing time at our field office. It was showed still processing Dec, 2015 which is 7 month delayed. We made infopass to visit our field office, because our travel date is from end of September and come back in early November.

08/30/2016 Infopass appointment with field office. The counter clerk confirmed the field office is 7 months delayed, and estimated our interview will hold in Dec, 2016 or later. We have also asked if somehow our interview got scheduled during our absence, what should we do? He just said make sure we brought our itinerary such as flight ticket as proof, and they will re-schedule the interview. After the appointment, we have a peace of mind and start planning our travel back to hometown to have our wedding reception with our family and friends.

09/20/2016 Interview is scheduled!!!!!!!!!!!! During my business trip, I received a text and email from USCIS to notify the status was changed for our case. After check, it was notify me that our interview was scheduled on 10/25/2016. We got panic! We will be outside of country during the interview time. We certainly can't change of our plan now. Try to make infopass right away, but earliest date is 09/28/2016, and my wife is leaving on 09/23/2016.

09/26/2016 Called the number on the interview notice and try to re-schedule interview date and stated the reason. The representative help me to submit the request after I asked for help 3 times. I recorded the request number after he helped us submit request. (very important! record it, in case your case get denied for not showing up on the interview date)

10/06/2016 Got email regarding the request of re-scheduling interview date. They received the request, and will notify us when new date is scheduled.

10/24/2016 Notice of re-schedule interview. We were traveling oversea and no one is receiving mail for us. (Hold at USPS). Came back in November from oversea. New interview date is 11/28/2016. We were blessed that our new interview time is after we return to the US.

***When you use AP to re-enter to the US, you will need to go to "the ROOM" it was easy because they just need to check the validation of the card. But you may need to wait more than an hour because there are just too many people in there waiting in line to inspect (LAX).)

We didn't prepare very well. My wife doesn't speak much English, and we didn't bring any translator. We were scared for awhile. I have known my wife for 16 years, and we dated 4 years then got married. For us, the marriage is natural and simple. We didn't think much. We got married Jan, 2016. We don't have joint account. below are the document we have prepared. (Please make copy of everything, we didn't, so the officer couldn't get everything that he wants. He even took the only copy of apartment leasing agreement)

Photos of our life (travels, some with friends, some with our pet, a chinchilla. I must said, they are cutest)
      Marriage certificate
      Auto insurance proof

Our interview is only 15 - 20 mins. First we arrived 25 mins before the scheduled time. After sitting in the area for another 20 mins passed our original scheduled time, I felt thirsty and trying to look for water, then our name got called. When we first entered to his room, he starts to speak and ask us to pull all the supporting document and separated to two piles. One is original and one is copies that he can take. I wasn't listened to him, because I noticed he has quite collection of action figure in his room, and I am a collector too, so I kinda paying more attention to his collection. Then we started to chat. So basically he reviewed and asked same question on the form I-485 to make sure everything answered on the form were correct. Then he asked us to show supporting document and ask how long we were married. We explained when and where were we on every photos. Then he started to check all my wife I-94 records and couple verification. He did asked some other causal questions like how we met and how's the trip overseas while he keeps writing, clicking mouse, and typing. After 15 mins, he said "I will recommend approval on your case, congratulations!" We got our case approved on the spot.

11/28/2016 2 hours after interview, got a text of status change. Check online, Case approved. Then other 2 hours pass, got another text. Card is in production.

11/30/2016 Card mailed.

I know this is long post, and I hope this can give you some idea and ease your mind.

what is your office field?

Comment

Congrats!
        Can you please let me know where do we need to send all forms (I-130, I131, etc) to? I am under the impression that all forms should go to Chicago processing center. Is that correct?

Comment

The address you need to submit is here: https://www.uscis.gov/system/files_f...i-130instr.pdf on page 5.

Originally posted by pz03 View Post
          Congrats!
          Can you please let me know where do we need to send all forms (I-130, I131, etc) to? I am under the impression that all forms should go to Chicago processing center. Is that correct?

Comment

Thank you! Since I am filing I-130 along with I-485, I will have to send all documents to Chicago drop box.

I appreciate your reply and time!!

Originally posted by Turk View Post
            The address you need to submit is here: https://www.uscis.gov/system/files_f...i-130instr.pdf on page 5.

Comment

help needed

Originally posted by kevin720616 View Post
              Hi Everyone,

Marriage certificate
              Auto insurance proof

11/30/2016 Card mailed.

Hi I am a F1 status student. I got married to an US citizen. Since I am already in the USA we are doing concurrent filings. In filling I-485 PART 2 which section will I choose
              I am applying for an adjustment to permanent resident status because:

An immigrant petition giving me an immediately available immigrant visa number that has been approved. (Attach a copy of the approval notice, or a relative, special immigrant juvenile, or special immigrant military visa petition filed with this application that will give you an immediately available visa number, if approved.)

My spouse or parent applied for adjustment of status or was granted lawful permanent residence in an immigrant visa category that allows derivative status for spouses and children.
              I entered as a K-1 fiancé(e) of a U.S. citizen whom I married within 90 days of entry, or I am the K-2 child of such a fiancé(e). (Attach a copy of the fiancé(e) petition approval notice and the marriage certificate.)
              I was granted asylum or derivative asylum status as the spouse or child of a person granted asylum and am eligible for adjustment.
              I am a native or citizen of Cuba admitted or paroled into the United States after January 1, 1959, and thereafter have been physically present in the United States for at least 1 year.
              I am the husband, wife, or minor unmarried child of a Cuban described above in (e), and I am residing with that person, and was admitted or paroled into the United States after January 1, 1959, and thereafter have been physically present in the United States for at least 1 year.
              I have continuously resided in the United States since before January 1, 1972.
              Other basis of eligibility.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
              X