Change status - J1 to valid B2 while still in US

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Change status - J1 to valid B2 while still in US

Au pair came to US on J1 Exchange Visa. My I-94 says its valid until D/S. My J1 visa itself (in my passport) says valid until September 2017. I do not have the 2 year residency requirement.

After 3 months, my host family in Los Angeles fired me and my last day of work was December 13. My sponsor company is giving me 2 weeks (3 days left) to find another host family, but there are no families available in LA. I want to stay in LA, so it seems like the only way I can do that is to change status. I do have a valid B1/B2 visa which expires in 5 years, from when I traveled to US 5 years ago. Am I able to change status to B2 while staying in United States with I-539 form? What is recommended?

Thanks for your help!

Originally posted by bigleiznuh View Post
    Au pair came to US on J1 Exchange Visa. My I-94 says its valid until D/S. My J1 visa itself (in my passport) says valid until September 2017. I do not have the 2 year residency requirement.

After 3 months, my host family in Los Angeles fired me and my last day of work was December 13. My sponsor company is giving me 2 weeks (3 days left) to find another host family, but there are no families available in LA. I want to stay in LA, so it seems like the only way I can do that is to change status. I do have a valid B1/B2 visa which expires in 5 years, from when I traveled to US 5 years ago. Am I able to change status to B2 while staying in United States with I-539 form? What is recommended?

Thanks for your help!
    Consult a lawyer ASAP as to what your options are. Your status is typically what you were admitted under, which seems to be J-1. You can't just re-use a visa you have in the passport because it's there. I-539 is the form to change status, but I will reiterate - talk to an immigration attorney ASAP.

Comment

Your B2 visa is completely irrelevant because US visas are solely for entering the US, and you are not entering.

Yes, you can apply for Change of Status with I-539.

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X