Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did not enter the US with Immigrant Visa. What can I do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did not enter the US with Immigrant Visa. What can I do?

I did not enter the US with an immigrant visa. I was brought in the country by my relatives when I was a child. I was granted a 10 year green card and I need to renew it. The application is asking "location where you applied for an immigrant visa or adjustment of status" and "location where immigrant visa was issued or USCIS office where you were granted adjustment of status.

What can I answer for these two questions? Would it be the office location where I applied for a green card inside the US? Will I have problems now because I did not enter with a visa? Thank you.

Can you be specific about how you got permanent residency? Generally, you either did Adjustment of Status inside the US, or did Consular Processing abroad to get an immigrant visa, which you entered the US with. Which one was it? (There is also a rare situation where if your mother gave birth to you abroad while she was already a permanent resident she could have brought you to the US without needing an immigrant visa.) What is the code on your green card?

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

It's the U.S. Embassy location where you obtained your immigrant visa.

--Ray B

Originally posted by interstate90yogi View Post
      I did not enter the US with an immigrant visa. I was brought in the country by my relatives when I was a child. I was granted a 10 year green card and I need to renew it. The application is asking "location where you applied for an immigrant visa or adjustment of status" and "location where immigrant visa was issued or USCIS office where you were granted adjustment of status.

What can I answer for these two questions? Would it be the office location where I applied for a green card inside the US? Will I have problems now because I did not enter with a visa? Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by newacct View Post
        Can you be specific about how you got permanent residency? Generally, you either did Adjustment of Status inside the US, or did Consular Processing abroad to get an immigrant visa, which you entered the US with. Which one was it? (There is also a rare situation where if your mother gave birth to you abroad while she was already a permanent resident she could have brought you to the US without needing an immigrant visa.) What is the code on your green card?
        I received my green card because one of my parents is a US citizen. That's the code thats on my card

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by rayb View Post
        It's the U.S. Embassy location where you obtained your immigrant visa.

--Ray B
        thank you for the help

Comment

I received my green card because one of my parents is a US citizen. That's the code thats on my card
          That still doesn't tell us anything. What is the 3-character code on your green card?

Comment

Originally posted by newacct View Post
            That still doesn't tell us anything. What is the 3-character code on your green card?
            That's what the code stands for. The code itself is IR7

Comment

That's what the code stands for. The code itself is IR7
              The code indicates you did Adjustment of Status inside the US. So you need to put the local USCIS office where your Adjustment of Status application (I-485) was handled.
              Last edited by newacct; 01-05-2017, 05:30 PM.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
              X