Travel and expiration date on i-551 stamp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Travel and expiration date on i-551 stamp

My wife received an immigrant visa and we arrived to the USA 12/21/16. She has an i-551 stamp, which says "upon endorsement serves as temporary i-551 evidencing permanent residency for 1 year". However it also says: IV issue date: 31 OCT 2016, IV expires on 23 APR 2017. which is only 6 months.

Which date is valid for reentry into the USA as she has not received her green card? I called USCIS and was told that the "IV expires date" was only the date by which she had to enter the country for the first time, and that the I-551 was good for travel for a year. But I am nervous about it and I wanted to check somewhere else as well.

Thanks

It is valid for one year from the date of entry, so until 12/21/2017. The immigrant visa's expiration date is irrelevant. The immigrant visa is invalid now anyway, as immigrant visas are single-use. The immigrant visa no longer exists. Rather, the immigrant visa automatically turned into an I-551 (green card), and it is that that is valid until 12/21/2017.

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X