Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FEDERAL STATES OF MICRONESIA CITIZEN OR U.S CITIZEN 301(g)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FEDERAL STATES OF MICRONESIA CITIZEN OR U.S CITIZEN 301(g)

I was born in Yap, Micronesia in 1993. I came to the United States for the first and last time when I was a couple of years old and have resided in Texas since 1995.
    My father was in the Navy and my Mother is from Micronesia. They were already in Wedlock by the time I was born so therefore under INA 301 (g) If born to one U.S citizen I acquire U.S citizenship but recently found out that my parents never filed me under CRBA when I was just a baby, then since I am over 18 years old now and did not fix my status to U.S citizenship before then I automatically become a citizen of Micronesia.
    I also did not get a passport when I was just a baby but did obtain an I-94 but also found out that it is lost for good since its a little over 20 years old, I cannot request another copy of that I-94 because at that time it was only being issued in paper form. Without my I-94 I cannot get a job although I do fall under the COFA (Compact of Free Association Act) I can live and work in the United States indefinite. I just recently for the first time got a Passport though via Mail to have some form of Identification but it is a Micronesian passport so I have somewhat came to an understanding that I am a Micronesian Citizen but I still cannot obtain a job or get a state ID.

I was just wondering if I can hit the border of Mexico to get a brand new I-94 and then come back into Texas where I live?
    Is it safe to do it that way? Because literally the only way to get a new I-94 is to travel out of the Country but traveling back home to where I'm from will cost me 3,000. Money that I don't have and cant make due to me not having my I-94 which proves that my entry into the united states with no time limit.
    Do you think Mexico will detain me cause im coming straight from Texas with a foreign passport?
    I really need help with this before I attempt anything risky.

So based on what you described, you are a US citizen (and have been since birth), and as a US citizen you don't have foreigner status in the US (including COFA national status) and don't need to mess with I-94s or anything like that, and whether you entered legally or not is irrelevant.

You are a US citizen assuming your father was physically present in the US (including time while he was stationed abroad in the military), in any status, any time in his life before you were born, for at least 5 years cumulatively, including 2 years after he turned 14. This is almost certainly true as he was in the navy, and probably spent much of his life in the US, so probably has way more than enough time to meet that requirement.

Whether you got a CRBA or not has no effect on your citizenship. Your citizenship was automatic and involuntary at birth. You can simply apply for a US passport at any time as proof of citizenship. You will provide proof that you acquired citizenship from your father as part of the application.
    Last edited by newacct; 01-11-2017, 07:14 PM.

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by newacct View Post
      so based on what you described, you are a us citizen (and have been since birth), and as a us citizen you don't have foreigner status in the us (including cofa national status) and don't need to mess with i-94s or anything like that, and whether you entered legally or not is irrelevant.

You are a us citizen assuming your father was physically present in the us (including time while he was stationed abroad in the military), in any status, any time in his life before you were born, for at least 5 years cumulatively, including 2 years after he turned 14. This is almost certainly true as he was in the navy, and probably spent much of his life in the us, so probably has way more than enough time to meet that requirement.

Whether you got a crba or not has no effect on your citizenship. Your citizenship was automatic and involuntary at birth. You can simply apply for a us passport at any time as proof of citizenship. You will provide proof that you derived citizenship from your father as part of the application.

but the thing is i have a foreign passport now, i dont know if i ruined my citizenship because i got a passport that isnt u.s
      and by law between micronesia and u.s i cant have dual citizenship

Comment

Originally posted by Yap Goddess View Post
        but the thing is i have a foreign passport now, i dont know if i ruined my citizenship because i got a passport that isnt u.s
        and by law between micronesia and u.s i cant have dual citizenship
        Whether you have US citizenship is determined solely by US law, and under US law it is impossible to involuntarily lose US citizenship.

As to whether you really have FSM citizenship and whether you were qualified for an FSM passport (as it may have been based on the incorrect premise that you were not a US citizen), that is a matter of FSM law and I have no expertise in that. But that is an issue between you and the FSM and does not concern the US or your US citizenship. According to the FSM constitution, an FSM citizen who fails to renounce foreign citizenship within 3 years of turning 18 becomes an FSM "national". I believe this means non-citizen national of the FSM (similar to how the US has non-citizen nationals). So if you have turned 21, you are now an FSM non-citizen national.
        Last edited by newacct; 01-11-2017, 05:50 PM.

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X