Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• B1 appointment, then F1 for MBA classes in short period of time

Hello everybody.
    I currently hold a B1 visa and am applying for a MBA in US.
    Once I still need to gather all the documents, translations and take the TOEFL, and yet apply for the visa, it might take a while.

Yet, I own a consulting firm in my country, and I will have to travel to US to attend a round of meetings and hopefully sign some contracts before I step away from the firm's management, and start my classes. -- I know I can't represent my firm while under Student visa permit.

I have some scenarios in my head of what could happen, and I need help to see which of those are absolutely legal and should cause no problems to me at the immigration or after. I am trying to be mostly cost-effective (preferably less flight tickets purchased).

1st) The meetings occur close to the start date of the classes (I should already have the Student Visa issued).
    Can Enter US with my B1 for business purposes and let the immigration officer know that I will stay for classes after the meetings are done, and switch my visa to the Student? Or I have to enter, do my business, get out of the country, and reenter 1 week-ish after with the Student Visa?

2st) Thee meeting occur sometime before the beginning of classes (an I still at the enrolling process)
    Can I enter US with the B1 visa and finish the application for University and Visa process from inside US?

Thank you very much.

You cannot enter the US on a visa with the intent to change status. A visa must be used solely for the purpose for which it was issued.

You may enter on the B1 with it's inherent purpose of attending to your business needs. Once that purpose is accomplished, you must exit the US.
    You may return and enter as a student, provided you have a valid F1 student visa in your passport.

Comment

Originally posted by daggit View Post
      You cannot enter the US on a visa with the intent to change status. A visa must be used solely for the purpose for which it was issued.

You may enter on the B1 with it's inherent purpose of attending to your business needs. Once that purpose is accomplished, you must exit the US.
      You may return and enter as a student, provided you have a valid F1 student visa in your passport.
      Is there a minimum period before reentering?
      Could I have any trouble when the board officer check that I have a F1 issued with a close starting date, and i am entering with a B1 visa?

Thank you

Comment

If you have B and F visas on your passport, you have to indicate which one you are using.
        If you have just one type (B), it would presumably take you some time to return to your country and apply for an F visa.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X