Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

International student in Canada: working in US (?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• International student in Canada: working in US (?)

I am an international grad student in Canada (with Canadian study permit). After graduation, I want to work in US. My future husband will have H1B visa. What are the options I have? As far as I know, I will have a dependant visa which will not permit me to work in US. However, I am studying in a reputed university here in Canada and would like to work in US after getting married in a year. Please tell me the various options available. I am aware that I can get J1 visa to do an internship in US while I am a graduate student. Is there a possibility for me to extend the J1 visa for after I finish graduation too?

Basically the same as your Husband, H1b and L are the most common. L requires you to work at least a year outside the US so H1b is most likely.

Comment

Thanks.

H1B will be sponsored by the company I would work for, right? My question is: Until H1B gets approved, how can I work? This is anyway lottery based.
      Also, please tell me the feasibility of extending J1 visa after graduation.

Comment

Originally posted by meghanor View Post
        Thanks.

H1B will be sponsored by the company I would work for, right? My question is: Until H1B gets approved, how can I work? This is anyway lottery based.
        Also, please tell me the feasibility of extending J1 visa after graduation.
        You need an employer and get lucky in the H1b lottery, J1 is a different category and covers a variety of activities and durations. Best to speak to your prospective Employer/Legal Team, they will know what is possible in your circumstances, if anything.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X