No announcement yet.

Has Dropbox facility been discontinued?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has Dropbox facility been discontinued?

Hello folks,

I just completed my first 6 years of h1b (Jan-15-2017) and I recently got i140 approved and received approved i797 h1b extension, working for same company from last 3.5 years. My exp and new i797 are from same company. I plan to travel outside US on business trip next week but I cannt come back to US without h1b stamping.

I filled up my ds160 and when I select to take an appointment at Chennai, I get "Congrats you qualify for Dropbox" message. But because Trump discontinued "Interview Viewer Program" effective immediately, I wonder if they haven't fixed the site yet and dropbox might actually not work out? Also worried about high num of 221g or "administrative processing" delays even though I have i797 from same company. Sorry for long write up, in summary

1. Has dropbox facility been taken out?
    2. h1b Visa stamping is risky at the moment? even though prev and extended visa from same company?
    3. Is it good idea to go different country other than India for stamping/h1b interview?

Originally posted by mkk83 View Post
    Hello folks,

I just completed my first 6 years of h1b (Jan-15-2017) and I recently got i140 approved and received approved i797 h1b extension, working for same company from last 3.5 years. My exp and new i797 are from same company. I plan to travel outside US on business trip next week but I cannt come back to US without h1b stamping.

I filled up my ds160 and when I select to take an appointment at Chennai, I get "Congrats you qualify for Dropbox" message. But because Trump discontinued "Interview Viewer Program" effective immediately, I wonder if they haven't fixed the site yet and dropbox might actually not work out? Also worried about high num of 221g or "administrative processing" delays even though I have i797 from same company. Sorry for long write up, in summary

1. Has dropbox facility been taken out?
    2. h1b Visa stamping is risky at the moment? even though prev and extended visa from same company?
    3. Is it good idea to go different country other than India for stamping/h1b interview?
    As per the Presidential executive order, yes it has been suspended effective immd. You can read the executive order on nytimes. It definitely feels more risky at the moment, i wish i did my stamping before Trump became president. I would not dare to go to any other country, if i am going to get stuck, then i would prefer that it happens in India

Comment

Dropbox are still open and available. There is no official news that it has been cancelled on official Government websites. Go ahead and do the dropbox, but have all document handy in case you get 221g. Otherwise there shouldnt be any issues.
      Last edited by kendallguy500; 01-29-2017, 03:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kendallguy500 View Post
        Dropbox are still open and available. There is no official news that it has been cancelled on official Government websites. Go ahead and do the dropbox, but have all document handy in case you get 221g. Otherwise there shouldnt be any issues.
        I really hope you are right. I myself am planning to use dropbox on 6th feb. However, here the section8 of executive order:

Sec. 8. Visa Interview Security. (a) The Secretary of State shall immediately suspend the Visa Interview Waiver Program and ensure compliance with section 222 of the INA, 8 U.S.C. 1222, which requires that all individuals seeking a nonimmigrant visa undergo an in-person interview, subject to specific statutory exceptions.

Now Dropbox is in compliant with "section 222 of the INA", however, one should definitely take a legal opinion and watch out for notification (regarding dropbox) on ustraveldocs.

Comment

I contacted my company's immigration attorney and they sent me this excerpt.
          I am also eligible for drop box and till now the website says "Congrats you qualify for Dropbox" for me.
          But the attorneys advised that the orders were signed just last week and so it might be that the DOS's websites might just not be up to speed.
          This is sad...

"Suspension of the Visa Interview Waiver Program (VIWP) at U.S. Consulates and Embassies throughout the world

The order suspends the Visa Interview Waiver Program (VIWP), also known as the “Dropbox”. The VIWP had waived the interview requirement for “low-risk” travelers, largely employment-sponsored applicants renewing their E, H, L, O, P, or R nonimmigrant travel visas and who had already undergone government-vetting. Now, these U.S. visa renewal applicants, regardless of country of nationality or citizenship, must attend an in-person interview.

What does this mean?
          All travelers seeking to renew their visas and those seeking to apply for initial visas at U.S. Consulates/Embassies should anticipate longer wait times for both visa appointments and visa issuances."

Comment

Keep an eye on US embassy site

So far there is no such notification on US embassy site. Only notification is barring national from those 7 countries. also in another tweet, I didn't see the name of India where this program is waived. My colleague dropped application on Jan 30th. so keep check the latest and site is showing you are eligible for drop box then till that time it will allow you to.

Comment

I contacted my immigration team today to take the advice about the dropbox facility and i got following reply. "Momentarily, the drop box facility has been discontinued till further notice."

Comment

[QUOTE=suhaan2015;479051]I really hope you are right. I myself am planning to use dropbox on 6th feb. However, here the section8 of executive order:

Sec. 8. Visa Interview Security. (a) The Secretary of State shall immediately suspend the Visa Interview Waiver Program and ensure compliance with section 222 of the INA, 8 U.S.C. 1222, which requires that all individuals seeking a nonimmigrant visa undergo an in-person interview, subject to specific statutory exceptions.

Now Dropbox is in compliant with "section 222 of the INA", however, one should definitely take a legal opinion and watch out for notification (regarding dropbox) on

Suhaan,

I am in the same boat. Please do share your experience after feb 6th. Hope all goes well with you.

Thanks
                Asif

Comment

Used Dropbox today in Mumbai

Hi all... I landed in Mumbai on 29th Jan for a 3 week vacation and I will be doing H1 restamping in this trip. I planned my trip keeping the H1b Dropbox in mind. Was really worried about Dropbox facility getting revoked because of EO. But anyway the ustraveldocs website didn't get updated yet. So I got my dropbox confirmation letter last evening. I went to Mumbai dropbox location today and submitted my documents.

I asked the person who collected my documents about the EO. She said that "dropbox is still there for H1". I was a little confused as the EO clearly said otherwise. But anyways I didn't have an option other than submitting my documents. She told me the processing may take up to 4 working daysp. So, hoping for the best!

Comment

Originally posted by Anoop Joy View Post
                    Hi all... I landed in Mumbai on 29th Jan for a 3 week vacation and I will be doing H1 restamping in this trip. I planned my trip keeping the H1b Dropbox in mind. Was really worried about Dropbox facility getting revoked because of EO. But anyway the ustraveldocs website didn't get updated yet. So I got my dropbox confirmation letter last evening. I went to Mumbai dropbox location today and submitted my documents.

I asked the person who collected my documents about the EO. She said that "dropbox is still there for H1". I was a little confused as the EO clearly said otherwise. But anyways I didn't have an option other than submitting my documents. She told me the processing may take up to 4 working daysp. So, hoping for the best!
                    Can you please update when you get the visa , I am also in the same boat , I have a drop box letter and my wife and daughter have a visa interview on 20th , with all these confusion going on , we are thinking should we go to India or not , need to attend a family wedding.

Comment

In the same boat.

I am in the same boat. The EO came after I planned my trip.

Good luck to all! Especially those who are in India and are waiting for the docs. Please keep us updated on what happens.

Thanks in advance,
                      -Nile

Comment

Good Luck,
                        Let us know how it goes

Comment

I am also in the same boat. I have given my passport on 25th at chennai. Till now didnt receive. Eagerly waiting!! Keep us posted if you get any status abt your.

Comment

[QUOTE=ai789;479301]
                            Originally posted by suhaan2015 View Post
                            I really hope you are right. I myself am planning to use dropbox on 6th feb. However, here the section8 of executive order:

Now Dropbox is in compliant with "section 222 of the INA", however, one should definitely take a legal opinion and watch out for notification (regarding dropbox) on

Suhaan,

I am in the same boat. Please do share your experience after feb 6th. Hope all goes well with you.

Thanks
                            Asif
                            Postponed my trip for the time being until there is a little more clarity on what is going on.

Comment

Visa Interview waiver program.

I found this on twitter. Hope this helps.
                              Attached Files

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                              X