UK Musician in USA on Visa Waiver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UK Musician in USA on Visa Waiver

I am an English musician currently planning a trip to Nashville, Tennessee for a month in April 2017 and wanted to check that my plans won't be breaking the rules/guidelines of the Visa Waiver Programme.

I am a singer/songwriter, I do not have a publishing or recording contract and I do not/very rarely earn money (in the UK or otherwise) from music. In Nashville, I want to meet with other songwriters (some unsigned, some signed to publishing companies) and co-write songs. I do not plan to record or perform these songs whilst I am in the USA. The songs will be written with myself in mind as the artist to potentially perform, record and use these songs in the UK when I return home. I will not be paid in any way for my time when working with the other songwriters in the US but could potentially earn money from the songs we write when I return home and record/release them. Does songwriting count as 'working' on the Visa Waiver or is this an allowed activity?

Another possibility is if another artist were to record and release a song I co-wrote in the USA (and so I received money/royalties for this), would this technically count as having worked on a Visa Waiver?

I would like to play a few gigs when I am there if I am allowed to. Can I perform at music venues, bars etc if it is for free and I receive no payment/expenses covered by money or otherwise.

Any help would be appreciated or if you can forward me to any other forums that can give me more information on these topics, that would be great.

Thanks.

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
X