Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

N-400 Application question on startup self-employed or unemployed ? What to report?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• N-400 Application question on startup self-employed or unemployed ? What to report?

Hello There

I am filling out the N-400 form for naturalization and there is a section for "Employment History" for last 5 years.

From 2012 till April 2013 , I quit my job to pursue my startup. I had registered a Delaware C-Corporation during that time. However, we were just building the App during that time and we never made any money. I never took salary and in the Federal tax returns that we filed in 2012 and 2013, we showed losses (investment into the app). However, on the company papers, we never showed myself as an employee. I was an investor , Managing Director and stakeholder in my company.

In April 2013, I went back to corporate world and joined another company.

My question is, what do I show my employment status as from Jan 2012 - March 2013 as? Unemployed? Employed by my company but no W2? The company did not issue W2 since there was no salary disbursed and it made losses.

I never applied for any unemployment benefits.
    If I show myself as employed by my own company, should I call it Self-employed? I am confused since the self-employed people (plumbers, lawyers etc.) file S-Corp. However, we had a C-Corp and I never provided services to a client. I was building an App for my own startup.

What sort of questions I should expect and what supporting documents should I have ready if I showed myself as an employee of my startup company which was shut down later?

Is there a problem if I show myself as unemployed?

Thanks in Advance for helping me out!!

Originally posted by citizenapp View Post
    Hello There

I am filling out the N-400 form for naturalization and there is a section for "Employment History" for last 5 years.

From 2012 till April 2013 , I quit my job to pursue my startup. I had registered a Delaware C-Corporation during that time. However, we were just building the App during that time and we never made any money. I never took salary and in the Federal tax returns that we filed in 2012 and 2013, we showed losses (investment into the app). However, on the company papers, we never showed myself as an employee. I was an investor , Managing Director and stakeholder in my company.

In April 2013, I went back to corporate world and joined another company.

My question is, what do I show my employment status as from Jan 2012 - March 2013 as? Unemployed? Employed by my company but no W2? The company did not issue W2 since there was no salary disbursed and it made losses.

I never applied for any unemployment benefits.
    If I show myself as employed by my own company, should I call it Self-employed? I am confused since the self-employed people (plumbers, lawyers etc.) file S-Corp. However, we had a C-Corp and I never provided services to a client. I was building an App for my own startup.

What sort of questions I should expect and what supporting documents should I have ready if I showed myself as an employee of my startup company which was shut down later?

Is there a problem if I show myself as unemployed?

Thanks in Advance for helping me out!!

I am in a similar boat...Wondering if you got an answer from anyone on this- Did you finish your citizenship interview. Did you answer any of these questions...

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X