Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I-130 approved, visa packet in hand, daughter comes to US. Can she leave without GC?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I-130 approved, visa packet in hand, daughter comes to US. Can she leave without GC?

After I-130 approved and interview done with visa packet in hand, my minor daughter (11 years-old) comes to US.

I'm trying to understand how long she will have to stay in the US before she can travel abroad.

So:

1) How long does it take for my daughter to get a green card after she enters the US?

2) Does she become a permanent resident at the port of entry? I know she won't get a GC at the port of entry.

3) Once she enters the US, what's the procedure to get the green card? None, just wait for it to arrive in the mail?

4) Can she leave the country while waiting for the physical green card to arrive in the mail?

5) If 4) is true, can I just mail her green card overseas once I receive it in the US? Then she would use it to re-enter the US next time she comes.

Originally posted by goodquestions View Post

4) Can she leave the country while waiting for the physical green card to arrive in the mail?

5) If 4) is true, can I just mail her green card overseas once I receive it in the US? Then she would use it to re-enter the US next time she comes.
    Can anyone help, especially for questions 4 and 5?

Comment

1) How long does it take for my daughter to get a green card after she enters the US?
      Weeks to months

2) Does she become a permanent resident at the port of entry?
      yes

3) Once she enters the US, what's the procedure to get the green card? None, just wait for it to arrive in the mail?
      If the immigrant fee has been paid, just wait for it to arrive in the mail

[QUOTE=goodquestions;479744]4) Can she leave the country while waiting for the physical green card to arrive in the mail?[QUOTE=goodquestions;479744]
      yes

No need. She already has proof or permanent residency on her. The immigrant visa that use used to enter, once she enters with it, it automatically turns into an I-551 (green card) valid for 1 year from the date of entry. The plastic green card is also just an I-551; they are equivalent in every way.

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X