Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AOS Time Limit, and Trump

Been awhile since my last post...

So my situation is that my (now wife) came from Philippines last April. We have been unable to afford AOS' $1000+. I am far from comfy living even paycheck by paycheck. Now with Trump in the mix, and coming up to one year in America with me, she feels she could be deported for not being here more official with no AOS and no SSN (because they screwed up her name and told us to "wait" and then time ran out).

Now, worse thing is that I have to take money from my 401k to do the AOS, and probably extra medical. My question is, is the whole deportation thing really a scare to be concerned with?

Thank you.

This man has been doing whatever he wants. Wxecutive orders left and right. I wouldnt take the chance. Taking money out of your 401k is definitely worth it to keep your wife with you. I wouldnt wait any longer.

Comment

Taking money out is unfortunately very hard too, since I practically emptied it out (after putting into it for 15 years), to survive since my 2011 lay off (rent, car, food). I am still paying 2013 taxes from its penalties. She does not want me to take it out for the AOS, but not like I have a choice. I barely make rent each month based on my pay at my temp job.

But is there any facts online on what its being planned with Philippine without AOS?

Comment

Maybe you can borrow from someone. A little money is well worth it for the peace and mind of being able to stay legally.

There is no "time limit" to apply, but if she gets in trouble or something (it's very unlikely but if), and gets put into removal proceedings, although she can still apply, it's going to cost much more money and hassle than now, because she will probably need to get lawyers and stuff, so not filing might lead to even more costs.

(Not to rub salt in your wounds, but prices just went up by a few hundred dollars in December. This is another example of delaying costing you more.)

Another consideration is that if your income is barely sufficient for expenses, then it may be insufficient for the Affidavit of Support, in which case, since you don't have any assets, you will have to find a joint sponsor.

Whether she has an SSN or not is not important as she can't work anyway.

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

Thanks for the info.

However, no one has money. That is the case with most Americans here. Got a small, one bedroom but rent kept going up and no options to move. Got only car repairs, kids, and utilities is where money goes. Just very, very hard. :/

Comment

President Trump or not, I would say that the peace of mind comes from knowing that you and your spouse/fiance are doing everything right according to the current legal process- which mean filing for change of status. There are only benefits that far outweigh the cost of the form vs not filing at all.

Comment

the_skeens

Originally posted by NoOneShouldStopLove View Post
              Thanks for the info.

However, no one has money. That is the case with most Americans here. Got a small, one bedroom but rent kept going up and no options to move. Got only car repairs, kids, and utilities is where money goes. Just very, very hard. :/
              the_skeens
              I joined this just so that I could comment on your post. My husband and I are going literally going through the exact same thing. I'm saying that say when we we're filing our taxes and couldn't (because they too didn't follow through with delivering his social security card) the tax lady gave us the number to Catholic Charities a non profit pro bono organization that assist with a lot of things and immigration services happened to be one of them. We live in Texas but this organization is very well known if I were you I would see if they can help you with filing your AOS. We had to pay $40 for our appointment with them which is this Monday the 6th. The lady couldn't give us a direct answer on what they could exactly help us with or if we qualify for the assistance but it's worth a shot. I would suggest looking into them or any other organization in your state for assistance. Fortunately if they don't come through, my husband has great friends that are willing to assist us with paying for our AOS allowing us to just pay them back when we can. If I remember; because we are running around trying to complete all the forms for his AOS; I try to update on you on how the appointment with them went. If not I wish you the best of luck With everything and pray for you a peace of mind soon buddy. Trust me I know exactly what your going through right now.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
              X