CKGS NY - OCI, Renunciation Submission - Walk In

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CKGS NY - OCI, Renunciation Submission - Walk In

I wanted to start this thread to post my Walk-In experience at CKGS NY Application Center for submission of my parents' OCI + Renunciation applications today. I was looking for walk-in experience on forums to get an idea, but could not find any. I had tons of questions before my visit today, and I hope by updating this thread, anyone wanting to do a Walk-in at CKGS NY would find some information shared here useful. This is going to be very detailed as I like to see details shared on the forum, so feel free to skip sections that are not relevant to you. I will also update this thread with the status changes and timeline.

Even though I started the online application process in Dec 2016, due to holidays and vacations and tons of questions that kept coming back (honestly, after the I-485/I-130 process that I went through for my parents, this OCI thing was the most rigorous appln process) I could only gather everything I wanted this week. I chose to do walk-in (with appointment) for 2 reasons :
    1) Get the US PP back in person from CKGS, without relying on courier
    2) The courier fee per person for OCI + R(Renunciation) = $15*5 = $75.
    You pay for these:
    1 package for sending OCI application
    1 package for sending Renunciation application
    1 package for delivery of US PP after verification
    1 package for delivery of Indian PP + Renunciation Certificate
    1 package for delivery of OCI card
    So, for both parents it was going to be $150 just for courier! I wanted to see if this cost could be minimized.

To get to CKGS NY from Port Authority Bus Terminal or Penn Station, NYC:
    I took the bus to NYC Port Authority from NJ. Right below the Port Authority building is the subway A,C,E downtown local (not express) and the 2nd stop is 23rd st. (1st stop is Penn station @ 34rd Street. So, if you are taking the train to NYC from NJ, then 23rd street Subway stop is only 1 stop from Penn). Once you get off the subway @ 23rd and 8th avenue, just walk towards 7th ave. In less than 2 mins, you will see the building 235, West 23rd st, somewhat diagonally across from the cinema hall. There is some construction happening in front of the building and so the entrance is somewhat obscure. But google image shows the pic of the building's front, so it was easy for me to recognize the building from across the street. If you decide to walk from either Port Authority or Penn station, it is only a 10-15 min walk and is probably a good idea to do so if the weather is not too bad, and that's what I did when I was finished with the submission process.

Once inside the Building:
    Once you are in the building you have to punch in the code to get into the building (instructions are there) and take the elevator to go to the 2nd floor. Once you step out of the elevator, you can see the whole office, and the person manning the reception. I went in 20 minutes ahead of my appt time early afternoon and there were 3 people ahead of me in line at the reception. This is your first stop. For one person on the line, the Reception guy took nearly 15 mins talking and walking back and forth into the back office, making the rest of us lose our patience waiting. Right behind this receptionist is the ticket machine with options listed as: OCI submission, Visa, Renunciation, Pick-Up etc. For those with appointments, all he had to do was select the appropriate option on the screen (OCI, Pick up etc) and a ticket will print with a number and after that you can sit in one of the many chairs, waiting for your number to be called. So all we were waiting for, more than 15 mins in line, was to get a ticket! If there is anything CKGS can do better, they can put this machine out (instead of behind the reception) so anyone with a set appt, can get a ticket themselves and go ahead to the sitting area, without waiting in line, standing. When it was about 1:00 PM or so, the receptionist announced loudly to those in line that anyone there without an appt should actually leave and come back on Monday between 9:00 and 11:00 AM. Maybe 1:00 PM was their cut-off for walk-ins without appts. Once he gave a few of us our tickets from the machine, he disappeared for lunch and those who came afterwards for their PM appointments, were waiting in front of the reception for a really, really long time, without anybody from CKGS even acknowledging them. Because I saw how the ticket can be printed, I actually printed the tickets for a few of those waiting. As long as the receptionist is not there, we can access the ticket machine I guess : )
    Last edited by jenim; 02-04-2017, 03:02 PM.
    Application Center: CKGS NY
    OCI
    Feb 3, 2017 -Application Received & Verification Complete
    Feb 6 -'Under Process' at CKGS
    Feb 7 -In-Transit & Under Process at Consulate
    Feb 8 -Govt of India: Date Of Acknowledgment
    -Documents Printing Status: UNDER-PROCESS

RENUNCIATION
    Feb 3,2017 -Application Received & Verification Complete
    Feb 8 -'Reviewed' by Consulate and ‘In Transit’ to CKGS

[Continued]..
    Once I got my ticket (one ticket for both applicants), my number was called within 5 minutes. At any given time, there are at least 3 desks open with the employees. It also looks like there is one desk dedicated for each type of appln. For example, all OCI applns, when I was there, was handled by the same young gentleman, Mr.Singh, who was extremely swift and organized. He was also polite and answered all questions I had re: getting the docs back.

Things you can use from the facility:
    If your picture is rejected as not being correct or if you did not bring pictures, there is a photo booth on the same floor, where you can print your own 2 PP pics for exact change $12. There is also a photocopier that you can use for a charge. I took Paper clips, Stapler, glue stick, big envelopes to put docs in etc, but none were needed. CKGS has all of these and will provide you with everything including glue bottle as needed.

Photos
    My parents photos were taken using the PhotoPrint app on iPhone at home, against almost a white-ish wall; uploaded it to CVS website and got two 4X6 prints for 0.64 cents. The CVS photo person was nice enough to use his photo cutter to give me 6 PP size pics per 4X6, by cutting it to size.

This is how I assembled the docs based on the "Print Docs and forms" tab in CKGS website under "My Account".
    OCI docs arranged from top to bottom:
    1a. Appointment letter (they do look at it both at Reception and at the submission desk)
    1b. Printed Barcode, cut along dotted lines
    2. Original US PP -- Yes, as per new requirement this is NEEDED at the time of submission and will be returned to you after verification. I was told that in one week I can pick up the US PP, so I will update when that happens. If you paid for their courier fee, the US PP will be couriered to you.
    3. Letter of Authorization from my parent allowing me to submit the OCI and Renunciation application on their behalf
    4. Notarized Affidavit in lieu of Originals - signed by the Notary (this is now required or recommended for all OCI applications, according to CKGS personnel). I was able to get this notarized for free at my local bank.
    5. OCI document Checklist
    6. OCI Application form (this is the govt of India form that you print after Part A and B, where you paste one picture)
    7. I also secured the 2nd required picture to this form with a paper clip
    8. Additional Particulars form
    9. Copy of US PP's Info page + pg.3 (on paper 1), Pages 24+25 on paper 2, Pages 26+27 on paper 3
    10. Copy of first three and last two pages of the Indian Passport (my parents had non-expired Indian PP)
    11. Copy of Naturalization Certificate
    12. Copy of driver's license or State Id for Proof of Address
    (I didn't attach copy of their Marriage Certificate, as they were not applying based on marriage).
    * My parents also wrote "Self Attested" and signed below that text in all copies of Items 9, 10, 11 and 12. I didn't want to take any chance, so I had the copies self attested, but when checking with the CKGS guy, he said "it's good that you got it covered, but this is not a mandatory requirement".
    ** I took plain envelope to put each application in, but that was needed.

Renunciation docs arranged from top to bottom:
    1. Original Indian PP
    2. R doc checklist
    3. R certificate form
    4. R online form (previously called Additional Particulars form for R)
    5. Copy of Naturalization Certificate
    6. Copy of first three and last two pages of the Indian Passport
    7. Copy of US PP's Info page + pg.3 (on paper 1), Pages 24+25 on paper 2, Pages 26+27 on paper 3
    8. Copy of driver's license or State Id for Proof of Address

I made two sets of appln for each parent - OCI + R, but only had each set of documents secured with a big paper clip and did not stick the printed barcode on any envelope. For OCI submission, Mr.Singh simply scanned the printed barcode I had submitted. He took the extra picture and stapled it to the center of the OCI form (this is the final form that you print from the Govt of India website - Part A & B form).
    He quickly checked for these things:
    1. Picture size and quality
    2. All forms are signed by the applicant
    3. Whether all docs are submitted according to the checklist

For Renunciation, he folded and stapled the R certificate to a page in the Indian PP.

These were given back to me:
    Appt letter
    OCI + R's printed Doc checklist
    All my envelopes and paper clips

Payment and afterwards:
    My credit card was swiped for $486.45 for each parent (OCI + R) including a convenience fee of $16.45 for paying by a credit card, instead of a Money order or Banker's check. I was given a printed payment receipt. Then he printed out labels to affix on the back of Indian and US PP, which had the Applicant Name, Web Reference # etc. He secured each set of appln+docs with a box clip and placed it in a open box sitting on the floor by his chair. That was the whole submission process. I got 3 emails almost immediately for each applicant with subject line:
    1) OCI - Received Handover of Application in Person
    2) Renunciation - Received Handover of Application in Person
    3) Payment acknowledgement

Even though I had opted for a walk-in to pick up docs, I was told that if I changed my mind to have the PPs or OCI Card to be couriered at any point, I can always pay the courier fee $15 per package - 3 times (For delivery of US PP, Indian PP+R Cert, OCI card) for a total of $45. Then the system will notify CKGS to send an email to the applicant as they are shipped. Initially I was told by CKGS customer service offshore that mid-way through the process, one cannot change from walk-in to Courier, but that info is incorrect, as I found out later.

Pick-up Instructions at CKGS NY:
    I was told I would get emails to pick-up the PPs like so:
    In 1 week, email to pick up US PP
    In 2 weeks, email to pick up Indian PP + Renunciation Certificate
    In 30 days, to pick up OCI card

When going to pick up, I was advised to bring Authorization letter from my parents + D/L or State Id copy of parents and to do pick-up any time between 3:00 and 5:00 PM, preferably after 4:00 PM. The pick-up process should take about 15 mins and the person doing the pick-up should be able to show their ID. When asked if I can make just one or 2 trips to collect all, instead of the 3 trips as above, he said that many folks do it that way and that CKGS will hold all original docs with them till the OCI card can be picked up. According to him, the entire process is just 30 days and between CKGS and NY CGI, so I'm not sure at what point Govt of India sends anything to them. Will update this thread as our application progresses. Whatever I said about our process may change over time, as we all know, and also may be different from location to location, but this is the current submission process at CKGS.

A couple was there for their OCI re-issue submission as they had both turned over 50, and theirs was also done pretty quickly in less than 10 mins. They were also asked to hand-in their original US PP for verification and asked to pick up their US PP in a week's time.
    Last edited by jenim; 02-04-2017, 03:04 PM.
    OCI

RENUNCIATION

Comment

Originally posted by jenim View Post
      [Continued]..
      Once I got my ticket (one ticket for both applicants), my number was called within 5 minutes. At any given time, there are at least 3 desks open with the employees. It also looks like there is one desk dedicated for each type of appln. For example, all OCI applns, when I was there, was handled by the same young gentleman, Mr.Singh, who was extremely swift and organized. He was also polite and answered all questions I had re: getting the docs back.

Things you can use from the facility:
      If your picture is rejected as not being correct or if you did not bring pictures, there is a photo booth on the same floor, where you can print your own 2 PP pics for exact change $12. There is also a photocopier that you can use for a charge. I took Paper clips, Stapler, glue stick, big envelopes to put docs in etc, but none were needed. CKGS has all of these and will provide you with everything including glue bottle as needed.

Photos
      My parents photos were taken using the PhotoPrint app on iPhone at home, against almost a white-ish wall; uploaded it to CVS website and got two 4X6 prints for 0.64 cents. The CVS photo person was nice enough to use his photo cutter to give me 6 PP size pics per 4X6, by cutting it to size.

This is how I assembled the docs based on the "Print Docs and forms" tab in CKGS website under "My Account".
      OCI docs arranged from top to bottom:
      1a. Appointment letter (they do look at it both at Reception and at the submission desk)
      1b. Printed Barcode, cut along dotted lines
      2. Original US PP -- Yes, as per new requirement this is NEEDED at the time of submission and will be returned to you after verification. I was told that in one week I can pick up the US PP, so I will update when that happens. If you paid for their courier fee, the US PP will be couriered to you.
      3. Letter of Authorization from my parent allowing me to submit the OCI and Renunciation application on their behalf
      4. Notarized Affidavit in lieu of Originals - signed by the Notary (this is now required or recommended for all OCI applications, according to CKGS personnel). I was able to get this notarized for free at my local bank.
      5. OCI document Checklist
      6. OCI Application form (this is the govt of India form that you print after Part A and B, where you paste one picture)
      7. I also secured the 2nd required picture to this form with a paper clip
      8. Additional Particulars form
      9. Copy of US PP's Info page + pg.3 (on paper 1), Pages 24+25 on paper 2, Pages 26+27 on paper 3
      10. Copy of first three and last two pages of the Indian Passport (my parents had non-expired Indian PP)
      11. Copy of Naturalization Certificate
      12. Copy of driver's license or State Id for Proof of Address
      (I didn't attach copy of their Marriage Certificate, as they were not applying based on marriage).
      * My parents also wrote "Self Attested" and signed below that text in all copies of Items 9, 10, 11 and 12. I didn't want to take any chance, so I had the copies self attested, but when checking with the CKGS guy, he said "it's good that you got it covered, but this is not a mandatory requirement".
      ** I took plain envelope to put each application in, but that was needed.

Renunciation docs arranged from top to bottom:
      1. Original Indian PP
      2. R doc checklist
      3. R certificate form
      4. R online form (previously called Additional Particulars form for R)
      5. Copy of Naturalization Certificate
      6. Copy of first three and last two pages of the Indian Passport
      7. Copy of US PP's Info page + pg.3 (on paper 1), Pages 24+25 on paper 2, Pages 26+27 on paper 3
      8. Copy of driver's license or State Id for Proof of Address

I made two sets of appln for each parent - OCI + R, but only had each set of documents secured with a big paper clip and did not stick the printed barcode on any envelope. For OCI submission, Mr.Singh simply scanned the printed barcode I had submitted. He took the extra picture and stapled it to the center of the OCI form (this is the final form that you print from the Govt of India website - Part A & B form).
      He quickly checked for these things:
      1. Picture size and quality
      2. All forms are signed by the applicant
      3. Whether all docs are submitted according to the checklist

For Renunciation, he folded and stapled the R certificate to a page in the Indian PP.

These were given back to me:
      Appt letter
      OCI + R's printed Doc checklist
      All my envelopes and paper clips

Payment and afterwards:
      My credit card was swiped for $486.45 for each parent (OCI + R) including a convenience fee of $16.45 for paying by a credit card, instead of a Money order or Banker's check. I was given a printed payment receipt. Then he printed out labels to affix on the back of Indian and US PP, which had the Applicant Name, Web Reference # etc. He secured each set of appln+docs with a box clip and placed it in a open box sitting on the floor by his chair. That was the whole submission process. I got 3 emails almost immediately for each applicant with subject line:
      1) OCI - Received Handover of Application in Person
      2) Renunciation - Received Handover of Application in Person
      3) Payment acknowledgement

Even though I had opted for a walk-in to pick up docs, I was told that if I changed my mind to have the PPs or OCI Card to be couriered at any point, I can always pay the courier fee $15 per package - 3 times (For delivery of US PP, Indian PP+R Cert, OCI card) for a total of $45. Then the system will notify CKGS to send an email to the applicant as they are shipped. Initially I was told by CKGS customer service offshore that mid-way through the process, one cannot change from walk-in to Courier, but that info is incorrect, as I found out later.

Pick-up Instructions at CKGS NY:
      I was told I would get emails to pick-up the PPs like so:
      In 1 week, email to pick up US PP
      In 2 weeks, email to pick up Indian PP + Renunciation Certificate
      In 30 days, to pick up OCI card

When going to pick up, I was advised to bring Authorization letter from my parents + D/L or State Id copy of parents and to do pick-up any time between 3:00 and 5:00 PM, preferably after 4:00 PM. The pick-up process should take about 15 mins and the person doing the pick-up should be able to show their ID. When asked if I can make just one or 2 trips to collect all, instead of the 3 trips as above, he said that many folks do it that way and that CKGS will hold all original docs with them till the OCI card can be picked up. According to him, the entire process is just 30 days and between CKGS and NY CGI, so I'm not sure at what point Govt of India sends anything to them. Will update this thread as our application progresses. Whatever I said about our process may change over time, as we all know, and also may be different from location to location, but this is the current submission process at CKGS.

A couple was there for their OCI re-issue submission as they had both turned over 50, and theirs was also done pretty quickly in less than 10 mins. They were also asked to hand-in their original US PP for verification and asked to pick up their US PP in a week's time.
      mostly are correct. but current passport is not required for submission, people apply for OCI in any catagory are not required to submit their current passport, OCI and PIO card, only passport to submit is latest Indian passport for Renunciation.

Comment

Originally posted by proonindiandoc View Post
        mostly are correct. but current passport is not required for submission, people apply for OCI in any catagory are not required to submit their current passport, OCI and PIO card, only passport to submit is latest Indian passport for Renunciation.
        Unfortunately, what you state is not correct, at least at CKGS NY for original OCI application since the beginning of 2017. Since mine was walk-in, I was able to get a few things clarified directly with the personnel that processes the application at CKGS NY. I specifically asked about submission of US PP and I was told I have to submit it at the time of application, otherwise the process will be pending until US PP is submitted. Even in my Track & Trace online, 2 process paths are shown - one for US PP and the other for OCI card (see image below).
        PS: Please avoid quoting my entire post in your reply. I'd like to keep this thread neat for others reference. Thank you.

Click image for larger version

Name:	OCI_Capture.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	29.2 KB
ID:	590610
        OCI

RENUNCIATION

Comment

Unfortunately, what you state is not correct, at least at CKGS NY for original OCI application since the beginning of 2017. Since mine was walk-in, I was able to get a few things clarified directly with the personnel that processes the application at CKGS NY. I specifically asked about submission of US PP and I was told I have to submit it at the time of application, otherwise the process will be pending until US PP is submitted. Even in my Track & Trace online, 2 process paths are shown - one for US PP and the other for OCI card (see image below).
          PS: Please avoid quoting my entire post in your reply. I'd like to keep this thread neat for others reference. Thank you.

[ATTACH]680[/ATTACH]
          Believe or now, your current passport would never go to the Consular, just their scan in/out the system. even you did not submit your current passport with the application, for sure will not reject you for missing passport. Since you had submitted the Passport, they have to do something to make it look legit. there's no such requirement from Embassy, just CKGS wants to make some money out of the courier charge. Anyone from this forum, tell me if I am wrong that CKGS reject your OCI application if the Passport was not submitted with the application, and how many of you submitted the passport have not received return from CKGS for more than 2 weeks or more.
          Last edited by proonindiandoc; 02-09-2017, 03:44 AM.

Comment

Since you had submitted the Passport, they have to do something to make it look legit. there's no such requirement from Embassy, just CKGS wants to make some money out of the courier charge.
            A couple of things to note here:
            1) Since my process is a complete walk-in (submission and pick-up), there is no courier charge that CKGS can benefit from, in my case.
            2) I did not submit the US PP voluntarily, but when I submitted the docs, the person who was collecting it asked me to submit the original US PP, stating that this is a new requirement from 2017.

Believe or not, your current passport would never go to the Consular, just their scan in/out the system. even you did not submit your current passport with the application, for sure will not reject you for missing passport.
            This, I'm not sure, whether they reject your application for OCI. But I've read on a tracker that the OCI process was halted for someone until they were able to send in their US PP. Can someone who did not ever submit their US PP any time in the process, please confirm that they still got their OCI without ever submitting US PP and what application center theirs was?

So a question for you, proonindiandoc, if you are saying that the new requirement for 2017 of submitting US PP at the time of application is not true, when do you suppose the US PP should be submitted at all? And if US PP has to be submitted later in the process, then isn't the applicant looking at another $15 for couriering that separately?

....and how many of you submitted the passport have not received return from CKGS for more than 2 weeks or more.
            This is the only thing that I'm concerned of. I don't know how long they will take in our case to return the US PP, but what was told to me is that CKGS NY will send it to the Consulate in NY, and within a week the consulate will "verify" and send it back to CKGS. After that, CKGS will send us an email to pick up the US PP. I just hope they stick to what they said. In any case, I didn't have a choice as the US PP was asked for at the time of submission. I will update this thread with my timeline.
            OCI

RENUNCIATION

Comment

My OCI + Renunciation application was put on hold as I did not submit my US Passport during the initial submission. Soon after I sent them the US Passport, they processed the match up and the application for both is at the embassy for processing as of today.

So yes, starting in 2017, US Passport is required to be submitted along with your OCI application as there is no match up at a later time.

1) Since my process is a complete walk-in (submission and pick-up), there is no courier charge that CKGS can benefit from, in my case.
              2) I did not submit the US PP voluntarily, but when I submitted the docs, the person who was collecting it asked me to submit the original US PP, stating that this is a new requirement from 2017.

This, I'm not sure, whether they reject your application for OCI. But I've read on a tracker that the OCI process was halted for someone until they were able to send in their US PP. Can someone who did not ever submit their US PP any time in the process, please confirm that they still got their OCI without ever submitting US PP and what application center theirs was?

So a question for you, proonindiandoc, if you are saying that the new requirement for 2017 of submitting US PP at the time of application is not true, when do you suppose the US PP should be submitted at all? And if US PP has to be submitted later in the process, then isn't the applicant looking at another $15 for couriering that separately?

This is the only thing that I'm concerned of. I don't know how long they will take in our case to return the US PP, but what was told to me is that CKGS NY will send it to the Consulate in NY, and within a week the consulate will "verify" and send it back to CKGS. After that, CKGS will send us an email to pick up the US PP. I just hope they stick to what they said. In any case, I didn't have a choice as the US PP was asked for at the time of submission. I will update this thread with my timeline.

Comment

I had submitted my OCI + Renunciation application last week and did not include my US Passport. My application was put on hold as they now require the US Passport upon initial submission. After I sent them the US Passport the application is back on track and is currently at the consulate for further processing.

Again, to re-iterate, US Passport is not required going forward upon initial submission as there is not match up process later.

Comment

Gaurav,
                  Thank you so much for sharing what happened in your case. That's what I thought, that CKGS would put the process on hold if you don't submit the US PP at the time of application submission.
                  I think you made a typo. In your last post you said:
                  "Again, to re-iterate, US Passport is not required going forward upon initial submission as there is not match up process later."
                  I think you meant:
                  US Passport is required going forward upon initial submission as there is not match up process later.
                  If you get a chance, please edit your post so there's no misunderstanding for others reading it.

If you don't mind can you please share your timeline and what application center yours is?
                  My timeline is in my signature.
                  OCI

RENUNCIATION

Comment

Got US Passport, Cancelled Indian PP and Renun Cert

A couple of days ago we got an email to pick up the Renunciation Certificate and Indian PP, but there was no mention of return of the US Passport, which left me worried.
                    Today when my husband went to pick up from CKGS NY, my parents sent these docs with him, as required in the email:
                    1. Letter authorizing him to pick up Renun Cert and Indian PP on their behalf
                    2. Copy of Payment Receipt
                    3. Copy of their Driver's license/State ID
                    4. Copy of Email from CKGS to pick up Renunciation

My husband got to CKGS NY, around 3:45 PM, and there was no one at the front desk, and when he checked with someone at one of the other desks they were rude and did not respond properly. Then one of the applicants waiting there asked him to put his papers on the tray and wait. After a 1/2 hour wait, a lady came and took only the payment receipt and returned all the other 3 copies listed above, without even giving it as much a look. They didn't even ask for my husband's Id to verify if he is the one supposed to be picking up! After a full hour had passed, she came out and gave everyone's original documents back which to our surprise included the original US Passport as well.
                    So glad that within 2 weeks of application we got back:
                    1. Original US PP
                    2. Cancelled Indian PP
                    3. with Renunciation Certificate stapled to it.
                    Hoping to get the OCI card by end of the month : )

Timeline so far:
                    OCI
                    ---------------------------------------------
                    2/3/2017 -Application Received, Verified & Verification Complete
                    2/6 -Appln is 'Under Process' at CKGS
                    2/7 -Appln In-Transit & Under Process at Consulate
                    2/17 -US Passport has been collected

RENUNCIATION
                    ------------------------------------------------
                    2/3/2017 -Application Received, Verified & Verification Complete
                    2/8 -Application 'Reviewed' by Consulate and ‘In Transit’ to CKGS
                    2/14 - Application is 'SORTING'
                    Renunciation Certificate ‘Received’ at the CKGS application centre
                    and is at the ‘Sorting Facility’ where it is being processed for delivery.
                    2/17 -Renunciation Certificate has been 'Collected' from CKGS Centre
                    OCI

RENUNCIATION

Comment

Originally posted by gaurav85 View Post
                      I had submitted my OCI + Renunciation application last week and did not include my US Passport. My application was put on hold as they now require the US Passport upon initial submission. After I sent them the US Passport the application is back on track and is currently at the consulate for further processing.
                      I am confused. The San Francisco CKGS office told me two weeks ago that I cannot apply OCI+Renunciation together. I must first apply Renunciation.

Which CKGS office did you submit to?

Do all the CKGS offices (NY, Washington, SF, etc.) follow the same procedure? Or does each CKGS office have different procedures?
                      Last edited by ravifremont; 02-21-2017, 03:25 AM.

Comment

Since mine was walk-in, I was able to get a few things clarified directly with the personnel that processes the application at CKGS NY.
                        When you selected "Walk-In" option on the CKGS web site, how many days did it take to get a walk-in appointment at the NY CKGS office? Or did you just walk in?

I was considering selecting "walk-in" option at the San Francisco CKGS office. The CKGS SF office told me that even "walk-in" submissions are by appointment only. And that I would only be given an appointment date after submitting the application online.

But the office could not tell me approximately how many days I have to wait to get an appointment date. If there is a long wait for appointment, I may just submit through the mail.

Comment

Originally posted by ravifremont View Post
                          When you selected "Walk-In" option on the CKGS web site, how many days did it take to get a walk-in appointment at the NY CKGS office? Or did you just walk in?

I was considering selecting "walk-in" option at the San Francisco CKGS office. The CKGS SF office told me that even "walk-in" submissions are by appointment only. And that I would only be given an appointment date after submitting the application online.

But the office could not tell me approximately how many days I have to wait to get an appointment date. If there is a long wait for appointment, I may just submit through the mail.
                          Yes, making an appointment is suggested and I was able to find an appointment within 2-3 days at CKGS NY. When I was already at NY CKGS building, I heard some of them submitted (without any appt) by walk-in between 9:00 and 11:00 AM at NY. Not sure if this is the same at SF.
                          Even if you select Walk-In, if needed, you should be able to change it to Courier mid-process, which you can see once you go to MyAccount after submission of online documents.
                          OCI

RENUNCIATION

Comment

Collected OCI cards

We were able to pick up our OCI cards today from CKGS NY. Total processing time: 32 days per tracker
                            US immigration, greencard and visa trackers - Track the progress of US visa, greencard, citizenship applications

As I mentioned in this thread earlier, we did complete walk-in for every step of the process - which is 3 times:
                            The first walk-in for submission of OCI & Renunciation Application with Indian and US PP
                            The second time for pick up of US Passport (after verification), Renunciation Certificate and Cancelled Indian PP
                            The third time for pick up of OCI card

Here's the full timeline:
                            Walk-in submission of OCI & Renunciation packages on behalf of my parents at CKGS NY. The process has changed in 2017 for NY, where original US Passport has to be submitted along with OCI application. CKGS will send US PP to CGI NY, and after verification at CGI NY, it will be returned to CKGS and back to applicant in a week.

OCI Timeline:
                            2/3/2017 -Application Received & Verification Complete
                            2/17 -US Passport, Renunciation certificate and Indian Passport picked up by applicant
                            2/28 -OCI Document dispatched from New Delhi to NY CGI
                            3/7 -OCI Card Received at the CKGS application centre
                            3/10 - OCI card picked up by applicant

Govt of India website Timeline

OCI Status-Report:
                            Date Of Acknowledgment 08-FEB-2017
                            Registration Status at Mission NEW YORK CGI
                            Documents Printing Status IN-PROCESS On 08-FEB-2017
                            Documents Printing Status PROCESSED On 28-FEB-2017
                            Dispatched From MEA (OCI ) NEW DELHI On 28-FEB-2017
                            Document received At NEW YORK CGI On 28-FEB-2017

Since my parents could not go to CKGS NY to pick up these documents, I got a letter from both of them authorizing the person to pick up the documents on their behalf, along with a copy of their payment receipt which can be printed from the CKGS website. That is all CKGS needed to check, before they handed over the documents, which is great for folks like us!
                            Last edited by jenim; 03-11-2017, 01:52 AM.
                            OCI

RENUNCIATION

Comment

Renuciation and new OCI application cannot be applied together

I have been there in NY ckgs today. It seems to be they have changed the process. CKGS have accepted my Renunciation application but not the OCI application. Until I get my renunciation certificate and cancelled indian passport, I cannot apply for OCI. However, renunciation will be completed within 5 business days.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                              X