Caught in Shoplifting in JCP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Caught in Shoplifting in JCP

Few days ago, I got caught in shoplifting at JCP. Somehow I missed to pay for the short worth of 10$ due to rain and hurry.
    The LP officer caught me in parking and asked to come inside. I went and told him that i missed it. He didn't agree & took my details and picture.

He didn't called the police. He gave me some paper where I had to complete the CAP program (capstudent.com) & pay some amount as fine.
    He said that nothing will happen & it won't report to police.

I am still worried. Whether they will report to police ? Will this impact on my H1B visa ? or further extensions/amendment on H1b ?

Please share your thoughts. This happened in Washington State.

Thank you very much.
    Last edited by user_2016; 02-05-2017, 09:56 PM.

Don't believe what the security person told you. This incident may or may not be reported to police and the only way you will know for sure is to obtain a criminal records check from your State Department of Justice by whichever name it goes in your state). It may take a few weeks for this incident to show up, if it does show up

I know a lady who was caught shoplifting in San Francisco, while here on a visitor visa, 25 years ago. When her son petitioned her for immigrant status, she had to go through a long delay, expense and paperwork to obtain a waiver from a reentry bar (I-602, Waiver of Grounds of Inadmissibility). Unlike other countries (Canada, UK, etc.) time does not erase mistakes on your history in the U.S., both criminal and immigration.

--Ray B

Originally posted by user_2016 View Post
    Few days ago, I got caught in shoplifting at JCP. Somehow I missed to pay for the short worth of 10$ due to rain and hurry.
    The LP officer caught me in parking and asked to come inside. I went and told him that i missed it. He didn't agree & took my details and picture.

He didn't called the police. He gave me some paper where I had to complete the CAP program (capstudent.com) & pay some amount as fine.
    He said that nothing will happen & it won't report to police.

I am still worried. Whether they will report to police ? Will this impact on my H1B visa ? or further extensions/amendment on H1b ?

Please share your thoughts. This happened in Washington State.

Thank you very much.

Comment

Thank you very much Ray B for your response.

I will try to get the criminal records check from state dept justice.
      If it gets reported to police, wlll I get some kind of notice from court or police ? Will they ask me to appear in the court ?

I had a talk with the Third party justice where I had to complete the online program about this. They said once I complete the program & paid the fine, it won't report to any other agency/dept.

Appreciate your help on this.

Comment

User Lady,

At some point you have to accept what people tell you, especially if they are in business to obtain monies from you. Shoplifting fines, without law enforcement intervention, is big business in the U.S., and you are probably okay from any police involvement.

Still, however, it's a good idea to protect yourself and to be informed in advance of any problems.

--Ray B

Originally posted by user_2016 View Post
        Thank you very much Ray B for your response.

I will try to get the criminal records check from state dept justice.
        If it gets reported to police, wlll I get some kind of notice from court or police ? Will they ask me to appear in the court ?

I had a talk with the Third party justice where I had to complete the online program about this. They said once I complete the program & paid the fine, it won't report to any other agency/dept.

Appreciate your help on this.

Comment

Originally posted by rayb View Post
          User Lady,

At some point you have to accept what people tell you, especially if they are in business to obtain monies from you. Shoplifting fines, without law enforcement intervention, is big business in the U.S., and you are probably okay from any police involvement.

Still, however, it's a good idea to protect yourself and to be informed in advance of any problems.

--Ray B

Thanks Ray B.

You mean to say as there was no police involvement, I should be okay ? Also, how much time time it takes to get the ticket/citation if at all they report to police ?

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
          X