Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Immediate visa for wife of US citizen B2 or K3

Hello Everyone,

I had earlier posted the below post in the B2 forum. But I just read about the K3 visa. I was wondering if this would be a better option to get the visa ASAP.

As I mentioned in the post I am a naturalized citizen of the US since 2010. For the past five years I have been living and working outside of the US and had subsequently got married outside the US. Due to certain pressing personal issues (A close relative has been diagnosed with leukemia and we would like to visit him) we would like to be in the US with in the next couple of weeks. I have no immediate plans to move back and this is the reason I have not applied for an immigration visa for my wife and kid.

I would appreciate if someone could clarify the following:

1. Can I apply for a K3 visa without actually having applied for an immigration visa?

2. Can I include both B2 and K3 in the "purpose of visit" section of the DS-160.

Would really appreciate if someone can share any information. Thanks.

Originally posted by shoaib_ar View Post
    Hello Everyone,

I am a naturalized citizen of the US since 2010. For the past five years I have been living and working outside of the US and had subsequently got married outside the US. Due to certain pressing personal issues (A close relative has been diagnosed with leukemia and we would like to visit him) we would like to be in the US with in the next couple of weeks.

I have not applied for their immigration visas yet as we were not planning to move back to the US in the immediate future. Considering the short time duration remaining I would like to apply for a B2 Visitors Visa for my wife and child. I would like to clarify the following points and would appreciate any feedback that I can receive:

1. Can she apply for a visitors visa being married to a US citizen? If not, what other options do I have besides an immigration visa?

2. If yes, who would provide the sponsorship documents (Would I provide it or someone residing in the US)?

3. Our marriage certificate was issued in India and we have not had any subsequent documentation prepared in the US. would this be an issue? (She has my name listed as the spouse in her passport)

I would appreciate any feedback or any other advice on this issue.

Regards,

K3 is an immigrant visa, very rarely issued now.

They can apply for B2's, no sponsorship needed.

I can not think of any subsequent documentation need in the US other than ITIN.

Comment

No. K-3 is obsolete; you can't get it; and it's a worse option. You can't file I-129F for K-3 until you've filed I-130 for the immigrant visa.

B2 is appropriate for a visit with no intention to immigrate.

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X