Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are the options to go from L1 Visa to Green Card?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are the options to go from L1 Visa to Green Card?

Hello,

I currently have an L1A visa (my wife an L2), and have had it for 3 years now (2 renewals already, current one expiring in 2018). We'd like to settle down in the US are starting to evaluate the options we have. Right now I know that my company could sponsor me for EB1C and an Adjustment of Status to become residents.

My question specifically is, if my company decides not to serve as a sponsor (and knowing that I can't submit the EB1C application myself) for my green card, what other options do we have???

Thanks all!

Originally posted by danboh View Post
    Hello,

I currently have an L1A visa (my wife an L2), and have had it for 3 years now (2 renewals already, current one expiring in 2018). We'd like to settle down in the US are starting to evaluate the options we have. Right now I know that my company could sponsor me for EB1C and an Adjustment of Status to become residents.

My question specifically is, if my company decides not to serve as a sponsor (and knowing that I can't submit the EB1C application myself) for my green card, what other options do we have???

Thanks all!
    If not in EB1 are they willing to file under EB2/EB3? How about moving to H1? What's your country of birth? As that will determine how long a wait it could be under EB2/EB3.

This is my opinion not legal advice.

Comment

I am in the same situation. I am on an L1 visa and would like to know if I can file myself for a green card and how to do that / how long will it take. My country of birth is Romania.

Thank you
      Adrian

Comment

Originally posted by danboh View Post
        Hello,

Thanks all!

The best option you have is your company filling the EB1C for you. If they decide not to sponsor you, unfortunately there are very few options. They can only fill for EB1, there is no EB 2 or 3 for a L1A visa holder. Your company can renew your L1A again - max 7 yrs.

You could try to have a good network, show that your work in US can create value to another company, find a company that needs your skills and that could fill an H1B however this will fall under the H1B lottery (25% chance of success) and you will be back to the same situation of waiting for them to sponsor you however not in the first preference that you have right now. So the L1A is the easiest way for a GC for you. Your wife could use the same strategy to get a H1B in the company she is working or with another company.

Another option is to self-petition but that requires a lot of skills and you need to be able to show you are a person of extraordinary capability. Usually you need a master, doc, phd, being recognized and also prove your project will help US. I am not sure if you currently have such background but this is the only option for self-petition. In case your company renews your visa for additional 4 years, you or your wife should consider getting all the necessary skills to be able to self petition.

Or, you can both work hard, save a lot and eventually look for the EB5. This will require saving almost 100k/year. Not feasible for most people.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X