Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How Do I File with Spouse from K-1 Visa?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Do I File with Spouse from K-1 Visa?

My spouse came over from the Philippines April 2016. We married July 2016. Do not have AOS yet (need money) and the Social Security Administration screwed up the name, so spouse does not have a SSN. Spouse not making any income, so the government has nothing to steal from that income. So I am the only one making the few bucks I can. I also still owe taxes, due to my 2011 layoff, so not sure if that will become a factor in my question.

So, how do I file my taxes? Married, single, head, confused, broke and poor? Is my spouse my dependent? Can I do that without SSN? How exactly do I start going by this? TurboTax says to file married, but she has no SSN and I can not skip it.

I contact them with no results.

Thank you.
    Last edited by NoOneShouldStopLove; 02-09-2017, 12:54 AM.

You had an opportunity to get her an SSN during the first two months after her arrival as a K1 entrant. If you had married and filed for her Adjustment of Status, she should get an Employment Authorization about 3 months after you filed, and is then eligible for an SSN again.

If you have not been working since 2011, how did you get her through the sponsorship requirement at her Embassy interview?

Anyway, you can apply for an ITIN for her and file as "joint married."

--Ray B

--

Originally posted by NoOneShouldStopLove View Post
    My spouse came over from the Philippines April 2016. We married July 2016. Do not have AOS yet (need money) and the Social Security Administration screwed up the name, so spouse does not have a SSN. Spouse not making any income, so the government has nothing to steal from that income. So I am the only one making the few bucks I can. I also still owe taxes, due to my 2011 layoff, so not sure if that will become a factor in my question.

So, how do I file my taxes? Married, single, head, confused, broke and poor? Is my spouse my dependent? Can I do that without SSN? How exactly do I start going by this? TurboTax says to file married, but she has no SSN and I can not skip it.

I contact them with no results.

Thank you.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X