Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F1 to H1B without OPT

Hello,

I have a question and was wondering if you would be able to put some light to it.

I am currently on F1. I havent started my OPT yet. I have a job offer which starts on June 1. My employer wants to file my H1B. As you know, the H1B applications are accepted from April 1.
    So my questions are:

1. Can I submit an H1B application on April 1 for a job starting on June1, directly from F1?
    2. Won't the H1B application need some kind of EAD (which is usually received when you start your OPT) ?

Thank you.

1. Cap-subject H1bs have a quota per fiscal year. The fiscal year starts every October 1. You can apply 6 months before the start date. So for the earliest possible start date of October 1, you can apply April 1 at the earliest. That's where April 1 comes from. You cannot start in June unless you have an H1b for the current fiscal year, whose quota ran out a long time ago. So unless it's a cap-exempt H1b, no, you cannot start in June
    2. no

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by newacct View Post
      1. Cap-subject H1bs have a quota per fiscal year. The fiscal year starts every October 1. You can apply 6 months before the start date. So for the earliest possible start date of October 1, you can apply April 1 at the earliest. That's where April 1 comes from. You cannot start in June unless you have an H1b for the current fiscal year, whose quota ran out a long time ago. So unless it's a cap-exempt H1b, no, you cannot start in June
      2. no

Thank you for your reply.

What if I apply for my OPT as well as H1, and start work from June 1? Once and if my H1 is approved, can't I just cancel my OPT and start from H1?

Since you say EAD is not required for H1 application, shouldn't I be good?

Comment

Yes you can apply for OPT, and later on switch to H1 (if available, and if you want to). That is the usual practice.
        Just an opinion; Not legal advice.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X