US Citizen, US Citizen Kids, Non-US Wife Immigration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US Citizen, US Citizen Kids, Non-US Wife Immigration

Hi guys, I really need some help, if anyone has any experience or insight. I will bullet-point the details here.
    TLDR: What is the fastest way I can get my non-US citizen wife to California, with my 2 US-citizen kids?

BACKGROUND
    I am a US Citizen, and I got married with my wife IN THE USA in 2011. She was getting her MBA as part of a Fulbright scholarship.
    Wife had 2-year home stay requirement, so she returned to Laos, and I followed her. We have lived here for 4.5 years.
    We have 2 small children together and both of them are US Citizens.
    I have just taken a job in California that provides enough income to support me and my family. I am moving to CA first (wife and kids stay in Laos) at the end of the month.

ISSUE
    I would like to have her come live with me in the USA (she wants to come by the way, this is not forced) permanently. However, reading up on some IR1 visa approval times, it looks like it could be a year! before her visa gets approved and thus a year before I can see my wife and kids again.

SOLUTION(S)?
    Option 1 is to just do the IR1 visa process and wait.
    Option 2 is to have her and my kids come sooner (she would use a tourist visa) and she would apply for an adjustment in status when she is here, we would file for perm. resident status while she is in the states.

Does option 2 present me with any legal problems? is there a chance it would be denied/she would be deported since she would arrive on a tourist visa?
    If you can, please help me to figure this out....

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
X