Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Living in the Netherlands, submitted I-130 to Chicago Lockbox: consular processing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Living in the Netherlands, submitted I-130 to Chicago Lockbox: consular processing?

Hi all,

First time poster so please be nice.

MY wife is a US citizen but we live in the Netherlands. Recently we submitted our I-130 petition to the Chicago Lockbox, as the process requires.

My question is: because we are outside the US (with no plans to immigrate), can we continue through consular processing once the petition is accepted?

If I follow the steps on this link: https://www.uscis.govhttps://www.imm...lar-processing

It says: "USCIS notifies the petitioner of a decision.... If the petition is approved and if you are the beneficiary of the petition and living outside the United States...USCIS will then send the approved petition to the Department of State’s National Visa Center (NVC), where it will remain until an immigrant visa number is available."

Later, it says that for those outside the United States:

"Once a visa is available or a beneficiary’s priority date is current (earlier than the cut-off date listed in the monthly Visa Bulletin),the consular office will schedule the applicant for an interview. The consular office will complete processing of the applicant’s case and decide if the beneficiary is eligible for an immigrant visa."

Is this how our case will work? You cannot submit an I-130 to the consulate here in Amsterdam; but the one in Frankfurt, Germany, takes care of immigration matters for the Netherlands.

If and when I am given an interview, will it be done in Frankfurt? And does that therefore mean that I won't need to complete a two-step process (I-485 adjustment of status), since step 7 and 8 of the USCIS link above states that, once a visa is granted your green card is mailed to you.

Long post, hope it makes sense!

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
X