Lost Green Card and White Passport

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lost Green Card and White Passport

My brother who is overseas now lost his green card and his white passport permit. He went to the embassy and showed them a copy of the green card but they did not accept it. They asked for a copy of the letter that came with the green card (maybe it is called approval notice not sure). My mom who lives here threw it away.

Is there a way to get a copy of the approval notice ?
    What form he needs to complete ?
    How long it will take the USCIS to process such a form and mail to me ?

I called the USCIS and things were not clear. At first the person said that don't issue duplicate when I asked for receipt notice. Then they said a copy of approval notice can be obtained via Form I-824.

Can anyone help me out and shed some light on this confusion ? is it an approval notice or a receipt notice that he needs and is that the right form?

Your opinion/advice is greatly appreciated it.

Thanks,
    George

That doesn't make any sense. They should be able to give him a transportation letter (aka boarding foil) with copies of his green card and re-entry permit. Maybe they wanted a copy of the re-entry permit approval notice if he didn't have a copy of the re-entry permit?

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

Thanks for your response

He lost his re-entry permit and did not have a copy of it or the copy of the approval notice for the white passport and the green card. I am not sure why they are being unfriendly with some people overseas.

Comment

I believe the issue is that he has been out for more than a year, and thus cannot enter with the green card itself, and needs a re-entry permit to enter. And thus they need proof that he had a re-entry permit which would still have been valid now had he not lost it.

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X