Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Applying for OCI, but no longer have old Indian passport (surrendered to US gov)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Applying for OCI, but no longer have old Indian passport (surrendered to US gov)

I'm helping my mother apply for OCI. She was an Indian citizen up until she became a US citizen. At the time she received her US passport, she was required to surrender her Indian passport. This was in the 1970s. She did not receive any kind of renunciation certificate and she does not have a copy of the Indian passport or any record of the Indian passport number. The passport # is required on the OCI Additional Particulars form in order to submit that form online and proceed.

Any suggestions on how to proceed?

Also, in the same question #3 on the Additional Particulars form (Any Previous Nationality Held?) that asks for the Indian passport #, it also asks for years. Are these the years in which she was an Indian citizen (birth through to year she became US citizen) or years from issue to expiry of the old Indian passport (as she has no copy of the Indian passport, she would not know the years)?

Originally posted by vonugrad View Post
    I'm helping my mother apply for OCI. She was an Indian citizen up until she became a US citizen. At the time she received her US passport, she was required to surrender her Indian passport. This was in the 1970s. She did not receive any kind of renunciation certificate and she does not have a copy of the Indian passport or any record of the Indian passport number. The passport # is required on the OCI Additional Particulars form in order to submit that form online and proceed.

Any suggestions on how to proceed?
    Which service center are you applying?

I am in same situation. Naturalized 20+ years ago and surrendered Indian passport. I do not have copy of Indian Passport and do not have old Indian Passport #.
    It should be clear that my Indian passport has long since expired, so it is ridiculous that this info is even being asked.

I called the San Francisco CKGS but was not given a clear answer. I will probably:

1. Enter 123... for passport number.
    2. Submit "surrender certificate" form like below
    https:///indian-citizenship-renuncia...ate-documents/

Comment

Originally posted by ravifremont View Post
      Which service center are you applying?

I am in same situation. Naturalized 20+ years ago and surrendered Indian passport. I do not have copy of Indian Passport and do not have old Indian Passport #.
      It should be clear that my Indian passport has long since expired, so it is ridiculous that this info is even being asked.

I called the San Francisco CKGS but was not given a clear answer. I will probably:

1. Enter 123... for passport number.
      2. Submit "surrender certificate" form like below
      https:///indian-citizenship-renuncia...ate-documents/
      I called CKGS and was told to enter 00000 for the passport number. And to complete the renunciation application.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X