Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New DS2019 and old visa stamp

Hi,

I entered in the US 04JAN2016 with a 1-year J-1 visa. At that time both the visa stamp on my passport and the DS2019 had the same expiration date (31DEC2016).

In mid-June 2016 I got an extension of my research program for an additional year and the University gave me a new DS2019 with the new expiration date (31DEC2017).

Should I ask for a new visa stamp on my passport so that the expiration date on the DS2019 and the one on the passport are the same? If so, is it something that I can do in the US?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Mike

No. A US visa is only for entry to the US. If you don't need to enter the US, you don't need a visa. And for that reason, you cannot get a visa inside the US (because if you are already here, you don't need to "enter").

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

It depends

Originally posted by mlanotte View Post
      Hi,

I entered in the US 04JAN2016 with a 1-year J-1 visa. At that time both the visa stamp on my passport and the DS2019 had the same expiration date (31DEC2016).

In mid-June 2016 I got an extension of my research program for an additional year and the University gave me a new DS2019 with the new expiration date (31DEC2017).

Should I ask for a new visa stamp on my passport so that the expiration date on the DS2019 and the one on the passport are the same? If so, is it something that I can do in the US?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Mike

You dont need a new visa as long as you are in the US. BUT if you leave the country, you would need a new visa stamp before you can come back

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X