Don't want to move to USA right away.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don't want to move to USA right away.

I am a Canadian citizen living in Canada and working in the US for an American company. I work as an American consulting company and spend 4 days in the US and fly back home on Thursdays for the weekend. I just got an email from my company indicating my PERM got approved (I was on an H1b and they did the sponsoring). Given some family obligations I would like to ideally stay in Canada for 1.5 years to 2 years and then move to the US in early part of 2019. From what I gather, it takes about a year to get your GC from the time you apply for I-140 and you have 6 months to move to the US from the day you get your GC- Is this accurate? Also, If it makes any difference, I have a property in the US, have US bank accounts, and work for a US company as mentioned earlier. My wife and kids however are rooted to Canada. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Apkesh,

You seem to be giving a message that you are confused about what to do with your future Green Card status. There doesn't seem to be a reason why you will not be able to continue as you are presently doing...4 days in U.S. and 3 days in Canada, if you like that routine.

--Ray B

Originally posted by apkesh View Post
    I am a Canadian citizen living in Canada and working in the US for an American company. I work as an American consulting company and spend 4 days in the US and fly back home on Thursdays for the weekend. I just got an email from my company indicating my PERM got approved (I was on an H1b and they did the sponsoring). Given some family obligations I would like to ideally stay in Canada for 1.5 years to 2 years and then move to the US in early part of 2019. From what I gather, it takes about a year to get your GC from the time you apply for I-140 and you have 6 months to move to the US from the day you get your GC- Is this accurate? Also, If it makes any difference, I have a property in the US, have US bank accounts, and work for a US company as mentioned earlier. My wife and kids however are rooted to Canada. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Comment

Ray,
      my wish is to ultimately move to the US and get the citizenship. However, with some family commitments, I need to stay behind in Canada for another 18 months or so. With PERM already having been processed, I have up to 6 months to apply for I-140. If everything goes right, as a Ceylon born national, I should get my GC in the next 6 - 18 months. My fear is losing the GC status if I don't move to the USA right away...

Originally posted by rayb View Post
      Apkesh,

You seem to be giving a message that you are confused about what to do with your future Green Card status. There doesn't seem to be a reason why you will not be able to continue as you are presently doing...4 days in U.S. and 3 days in Canada, if you like that routine.

--Ray B

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X