OCI, CKGS, NY Mission Experience, New OCI, Renewal OF old OCI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OCI, CKGS, NY Mission Experience, New OCI, Renewal OF old OCI

I applied for Renewal of OCI for 2 of my children and a New OCI for my third one, all together. However, I had to (per CKGS & OCI rules) fill in separate application for each child and place those in separate shipping envelopes. I used fedex. MISSION - NY CGI

1 ---- RENEWAL OF OCI FOR MINOR ---- FYI- (on Govt of India website- use OCI Misc form Tab; its not explained on CKGS Website)

FEES --OCI Re-Issue for New Passport Fees25.00 ICWF Fee3.00 CKGS Service Fee17.00 SHIPPING-- From You to CKGS(1 Envelope x $15.00)15.00 From CKGS to You(1 Envelope x $15.00)15.00 Convenience Fee2.63 Total77.63

PROCESS / updates from CKGS website-----------------

Jan 25, 2017 – Wednesday-- 02:13 pm
    Application ‘Received’ by CKGS and 'Not Verified'.
    You will receive an E-mail advising you of the outcome of the verification process.

Feb 01, 2017 – Wednesday -- 11:27 am
    Application Verification is ‘Complete’. Processing of your application will continue.
    The Consulate may request for further documents over and above those already submitted as per the Document Checklist.
    Please continue tracking your application status online.

Feb 7, 2017 –Tuesday -- I called CKGS that it’s been a week of application being ‘Complete’. The person (she was very nice & helpful on the phone ) said- it usually takes 1-2 business days only. She apologized and placed the application in ‘escalation process’ for CKGS team to look into it and process it ASAP.

Feb 07, 2017 – Tuesday--11:54 am
    Application is ‘Under Process’ at CKGS.

Feb 07, 2017 – Tuesday--05:59 pm
    Application is 'In Transit' to the Consulate.

Feb 08, 2017 – Wednesday--09:12 am
    Application is 'Under Process' at Consulate for decision making.

Feb 15, 2017 – Wednesday--02:31 pm
    Application 'Reviewed' by Consulate and ‘In Transit’ to CKGS Application Centre.

Feb 16, 2017 – Thursday--12:09 pm
    OCI Card ‘Received’ at the CKGS application centre and is at the ‘Sorting Facility’ where it is being processed for delivery.

Feb 16, 2017 – Thursday--04:51 pm
    OCI Card picked up by FedEx.
    Your AWB Number is ########
    To track the ‘Progress of Your Shipment’, log onto the site of FedEx and enter your AWB Number.

Feb 17, 2017 – I received fedex shipment with old & new OCI card & Passport in it.

2 --- NEW OCI APPLICATION FOR MINOR ----

FEES - OCI $ 275 + ICWF $3 + CKGS service $17 + Shipping you to CKGS $ 15 & CKGS to you $ 30 + Online $11.90

PROCESS / updates from CKGS website-----------------

Jan 25, 2017, Wed - 2:13 pm Application ‘Received’ by CKGS and 'Not Verified'.
    You will receive an E-mail advising you of the outcome of the verification process

Feb 1, 2017, Wed – 12:08 pm - Application Verification is ‘Complete’. Processing of your application will continue.
    The Consulate may request for further documents over and above those already submitted as per the Document Checklist.Please continue tracking your application status online.

Feb 7, 2017 -- I called CKGS as its been a week of application being ‘Complete’. The person (she was very nice & helpful on the phone ) said- it usually takes 1-2 business days only. She apologized and placed the application in ‘escalation process’ for ckgs team to look into it and process it ASAP.

Feb 7, 2017 – Tues- 11:45 am - Application is ‘Under Process’ at CKGS. Please continue tracking your application status online

Feb 7, 2017 – Tues- 5:58 pm - Application is 'In Transit' to the Consulate. Please continue tracking your application status online

Feb 8, 2017 – Wed – 9:06 am - Application is 'Under Process' at Consulate for decision making. Please continue tracking your application status online

Feb 8, 2017 – Wed – 2:09 pm - Application 'Reviewed' by Consulate and ‘In Transit’ to CKGS Application Centre.
    Please continue tracking your application status online

Feb 10, 2017 - Fri – 4:23 pm - Original Passport ‘Received’ at the CKGS application centre and is at the ‘Sorting Facility’ where it is being processed for delivery. Your OCI Application will continue and take the pre-defined processing time. Please continue tracking your application status online. Please continue tracking your application status online

Feb 17, 2017 - Fri – 5:20 pm - Original Passport handed over to FedEx by CKGS in the Pre Paid Envelope provided by you. Your AWB Number is ########## . To track the ‘Progress of Your Shipment’, log onto the site of your Service Provider and enter your AWB Number. Your OCI Application will continue and take the pre-defined processing time. Please continue tracking your application status online

Feb 20, 2017 – Monday – I received the Passport by Fedex

Mar 1, 2017 – Wed – Status on Govt of India Website – OCI – Document Printing status – Processed, Dispatched ffrom MEA (OCI) New Delhi, Document received at NY CGI.

Mar 6, 2017 – Monday –- I called CKGS inquiring about OCI, the agent said that it can take about 1-3 weeks for it come to CKGS from NY CGI so just wait.. But later that day, on CKGS website- at 12:50 pm -- status changed to – OCI Card ‘Received’ at the CKGS application centre and is at the ‘Sorting Facility’ where it is being processed for delivery. Please continue tracking your application status online.

Mar 07, 2017, 4:05 pm - Application is 'DISPATCH'. OCI Card picked up by FedEx. Your AWB Number is YYYY YYYY XX. To track the ‘Progress of Your Shipment’, log onto the site of FedEx and enter your AWB Number.

Mar 08, 2017 – I received OCI by Fedex

COMMENTS ---
    1- not sure whose pocket the ‘online fee’ belongs to, when I am already paying OCI fee & CKGS fee separately…
    2- CKGS phone customer service- re: help for filing application – Looooooong wait time to get agent on phone… automated machine would say-you have less than 7 min but then 10 min later it would say you have less than 11 min & so forth—go figure!!! Example like this happened with me multiple times. In fact, a few time, when I called in afternoon—it would say- all circuits are busy, call back later. I tried a couple times but 5 sec later on calling back it will say the message like above for wait times……. Cant wrap my head around it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NOW SOME OTHER EXPERIENCES WITH CKGS I HAD RE: SOME PROBLEMS ( NO FAULT OF MINE)

1 - Shipping – ‘CKGS to you’ – For the New OCI , I chose that shipping option and paid $30 but still upon completion & submission of the application; in ‘My Account section’ in Tab ‘Shipping/Extra services’ it said my option was ‘Walk In’. I called CKGS. Agent said that on their end it showed ‘shipping’ not ‘walk in’ and they could confirm that I paid the return shipping so I should ‘ignore’ that and they confirmed that documents (passport & OCI) will be returned to me by Shipping. Seriously!!!! They asked me to ignore their own website info after paying all those $$$…How Professional !!!
    -- Moreover, when the NEW OCI was Dispatched to Fedex, I should be receiving the update email from CKGS but I did not. I happen to know about the dispatch only because I was tracking the CKGS OCI tracking webpage 4-5 times a day in my Google Chrome Pinned Tab.

2 - Feb 24 , 2017 – Fri – I called CKGS about the status of OCI, The agent said- it takes about 30-40 business days for CKGS to get OCI from date of acknowledgement on Govt of India website. Then CKGS can take upto 1-2 weeks to sort it and mail it to applicant.

On Feb 24, Just for my own sake, I also asked him that my daughter’s name is correct on the papers I submitted (I had scanned copies of everything) and on CKGS website….However, when I check her application status on Govt. of India website, it lists a wrong middle name. The agent (Suhail) was very helpful, talked to his fellow workers w/o success at definite answers so issued an escalation case number for the CKGS team to look into it. But here’s the problem….I had asked the same question to another agent from CKGS (Nelson) when I called CKGS about this on Feb 9. He said not to worry about it as the name on CKGS records is right. The Govt of India status inquiry web page is transient and will go away once OCI is issued and OCI is issued in the name that’s on passport. So ignore that web page…..

Anyways, I received the email from escalation case team on the evening of Feb 24---CKGS Wrote---‘“This is with regards to your query about OCI application and would like to inform you that we received the following reply from the concerned team. 'Details on OCI card would be as per what applicant filled in NIC form. Please advise her to wait till she get oci card and reapply under oci miscellaneous service'.
    For any further queries feel free to write us on Contact/Feedback.’”

FYI- there no way to reply to that email as it says ‘noreply’. You have to go toCKGS website and fill in auto-populated fillable fields feedback form all over again every time you have a question/reply…..anyways…

Now this became concerning. One, the instruction on CKGS website for filling out paperwork is not detailed/ explanatory. I had to call CKGS multiple times to clarify things, esp signature/thumbprint for minors etc. Secondly, after I have already done this much hard work of filling out forms (and enter same info twice-CKGS & Govt of India) CKGS then charges quite a hefty sum to do a simple task of checking and submitting paperwork to Govt of India (which is then a complicated process for the Govt) then CKGS raises all hands after that. Thirdly, we have two agents with different / conflicting information. They are playing games with such sensitive issues. What if I land in India and they question my daughter’s papers. Oh Boy!!! Imagine dealing with immigration agents in India trying to prove your kids is actually your kid !!!!… One gets the picture!!!!!..>> So I replied email back to CKGS asking how the mistake happened and who is to pay for OCI Misc form if OCI is printed in wrong name.......Never heard back from them, which was expected.

Same day, Feb 24,Fri, I emailed Consulate General, NY helpline email. I received email back on Feb 27, Mon, morning, asking to give some info to them, which I did right away. By afternoon, same day, I received the phone call from consulate. The lady was nice and said, she is not sure how the mistake happened but she will inform people up the chain and don’t worry about it and no matter what web page says, the OCI will be matched to the name in passport. Same night, I checked my dtr’s application status on Govt of India website and her name was now listed correctly. Phew!! Right!!
    NY CGI Agent also said - Always write the Given/first Names as in US Passport even if passport mentions first and middle name together...not sure what to think of that!!!

FYI – that Status Inquiry webpage on Govt of India is NOT transient (as earlier claimed by CKGS customer serv reprsntv)…It still exists…So I am glad I called Govt of India NY CGI rather than replying on CKGS. And in fact I got better & more prompt help there than CKGS. Phone service of NY CGI was very prompt as well.

SO GOOD LUCK TO YOU ALL TRYING FOR OCIs…….

Thank you for sharing your OCI experiences on this forum, particularly the details on the issue you faced and its resolution. (BTW, thank yous are hard to come by on this forum )

It's amazing that CKGS had the audacity to tell you to reapply via OCI Misc if the OCI card comes printed with the wrong name - and even when you caught it mid-process, BEFORE the card was printed! I mean who gives out such answers to the applicant, without actually trying to resolve it by contacting the consulate in NY like you did? Shows the ridiculous process (or lack thereof) that they follow when there is an issue.

I think you did well by contacting CGI NY directly, after getting inconsistent answers from the folks at CKGS. Would you be willing to share the email address here for anyone who might want to escalate issues directly with NY CGI? Glad everything worked out for you re: the name confusion.

I'm still on the fence about applying for renewal OCI for my minor child due to several reasons. Her old US PP has the U visa sticker and she has a OCI booklet, but now she has a new US PP. If we have to travel to India at all, we were planning to carry the old US PP + OCI card + new US PP. But if the re-issue process is quick (your re-issue seems like 22 days turn around time) I may apply for her OCI re-issue.
    Would you be willing to share the the list of documents you submitted with the OCI re-issue application?

BTW, does anyone know up to what age OCI considers a child as a minor?
    Last edited by jenim; 03-13-2017, 12:22 AM.
    Application Center: CKGS NY
    OCI
    Feb 3, 2017 -Application Received & Verification Complete
    Feb 6 -'Under Process' at CKGS
    Feb 7 -In-Transit & Under Process at Consulate
    Feb 8 -Govt of India: Date Of Acknowledgment
    -Documents Printing Status: UNDER-PROCESS

RENUNCIATION
    Feb 3,2017 -Application Received & Verification Complete
    Feb 8 -'Reviewed' by Consulate and ‘In Transit’ to CKGS

Comment

OCI renewal, photo & spouse application

I had a quick question for anyone with this knowledge or I hope an official from Immihelp can respond.

I need to renew my OCI and my wife needs to get her new OCI. So, question is whether I can use the FAMILY option to apply for both these items together or do I need to send my RENEWAL application separately?

Also, the 2x2 photo requirement - is that same as the US passport photo that most local shops provide?

Thanks,
      .. sp

Comment

Originally posted by sp99 View Post
        I had a quick question for anyone with this knowledge or I hope an official from Immihelp can respond.

I need to renew my OCI and my wife needs to get her new OCI. So, question is whether I can use the FAMILY option to apply for both these items together or do I need to send my RENEWAL application separately?

Also, the 2x2 photo requirement - is that same as the US passport photo that most local shops provide?

Thanks,
        Even if you are applying for more than one person in a family, it needs to be separate application and need to send the documents to CKGS in separate envelope.

Comment

Originally posted by jenim View Post
          Thank you for sharing your OCI experiences on this forum, particularly the details on the issue you faced and its resolution. (BTW, thank yous are hard to come by on this forum )

It's amazing that CKGS had the audacity to tell you to reapply via OCI Misc if the OCI card comes printed with the wrong name - and even when you caught it mid-process, BEFORE the card was printed! I mean who gives out such answers to the applicant, without actually trying to resolve it by contacting the consulate in NY like you did? Shows the ridiculous process (or lack thereof) that they follow when there is an issue.

I think you did well by contacting CGI NY directly, after getting inconsistent answers from the folks at CKGS. Would you be willing to share the email address here for anyone who might want to escalate issues directly with NY CGI? Glad everything worked out for you re: the name confusion.

I'm still on the fence about applying for renewal OCI for my minor child due to several reasons. Her old US PP has the U visa sticker and she has a OCI booklet, but now she has a new US PP. If we have to travel to India at all, we were planning to carry the old US PP + OCI card + new US PP. But if the re-issue process is quick (your re-issue seems like 22 days turn around time) I may apply for her OCI re-issue.
          Would you be willing to share the the list of documents you submitted with the OCI re-issue application?

I think the child is considered as Minor till 18 yrs of age. OCI Re-issue process at NY CGI takes 14 working days if her previous OCI/PIO was also issued by NY CGI. For our kid, it took 14 working days from receipt of documents at CKGS but it was OCI in lieu of PIO.

Below is FAQ from CKGS website http://www.in.ckgs.us/faq

Q32: What is the processing time for Re-issue of new OCI card in case of new Passport for New York jurisdiction?
          The processing time for Re-issue of new OCI card in case of new Passport will vary as per jurisdiction. It will take minimum 7 to 10 business days till the new OCI card is dispatched to you. Meanwhile, you can check the status of your application via Track My Application https://www.in.ckgs.us/trackandtrace/ on the CKGS website.

Comment

Pavithara, thank you for your response.
            I was looking at a recent post by someone in a different thread and it appears that it is not mandatory to get the OCI card re-issued for a minor (what we already have now is a OCI card for the minor). I'm still confused as I see posts saying we have and we don't have to get the OCI card reissued. In any case, I've decided to wait it out a few years to see how else Govt of India is going to change the rules regarding OCI re-issue for minors. Maybe, I'll just wait for her to turn 18 and then get the reissue once and for all?!
            Application Center: CKGS NY
            OCI
            Feb 3, 2017 -Application Received & Verification Complete
            Feb 8 -Govt of India: Date Of Acknowledgment
            -Documents Printing Status: UNDER-PROCESS

RENUNCIATION
            Feb 3,2017 -Application Received & Verification Complete
            Feb 8 -'Reviewed' by Consulate and ‘In Transit’ to CKGS

Comment

1- Contact info for NY CGI –212-774 –0635 (working days 900 to 1300 & 1400 to 1700 hrs)
              Email- [email protected]

Link-- https://www.indiacgny.org/pages.php?id=638
              On that page, if one clicks on Tab ‘Contact us’ on Right side, it opens a small info window with ph # & email address

2- Another Link for CGI NY re: OCI info -- https://www.indiacgny.org/pages.php?id=68

3- RE: Applying as a family—I was told by CKGS, its also instructed on CKGS Website – each person has to fill out individual application, submit it along with supporting documents individually in separate envelopes, in my case I used FedEx offered by CGKS while filing out application, for everything.—just printed the shipping label off of CKGS website, attached it on each envelope separately. Basically each application is an entity in itself irrespective of how many family members applying.

4- Re: Need / Requirements for Renewal of OCI – Link - https://www.in.ckgs.us/faq and read Q10.

5- Re: Supporting Documents – Once one fills out a pertinent application on CKGS, renewal or new, CKGS generates an automatic document checklist for that particular application with instructions on which documents, copies/ original (fyi- only original I was asked-passport and old OCI card in case of renewal), which ones need to be notarized and so forth..I don’t recall complete details but to name a few---—

- Additional Particulars Form (generated by CKGS when u fill application)- original
              - Parental Authorization Form- Notarized Original
              - 2 passport photo-when u go to CVS or Walgreen’s & such-they know what to do
              - OCI application Form from Govt of India Website Part A & B
              - Original Current US Passport + Copy of info & endorsement pages— - look up link --
              - /oci-card/ click on Documents on Left side Navigation tabs , scroll down to section on passports.
              - Proof of Indian Origin of child- e.g.copy of Birth cert/ Indian passport of parent/s or Grand Parent/s on whose basis one is applying for OCI
              - Copy of Naturalization Certificate if applicable
              - Proof of address of parents
              - Copy of Both Parent’s current US passport
              - Affidavit in Lieu of Originals- notarized original- it is generated by CKGS as well
              - Proof of renunciation of Indian Passport, if ever held one
              - Old OCI-original, if applicable, for renewal

6- Re: Processing Time – per CKGS- depends on the consulate one applies through. Although CKGS’s response to me was, “ Govt of India has given us strict instructions not to suggest estimated processing times.” But one time an agent was nice and that one repeated the above sentence but then said that based on their previous experience it should not take long esp w NY mission as it is one of the quickest as OCI’s, once granted by Govt of India, are printed in NY.

so best to call the CKGS-646 589 0088; 9 am thru 9 pm EST Or can research about it on Immihelp from other’s experience. Mine is on my first entry on this thread.
              Call CKS- beware, wait times can be very long….I usually called and put on speaker while doing other things.

FYI- when time to go on Govt of India website (https://passport.gov.in/oci/welcome) to fill out Part A & B, to save time, it would be wise to already have scanned copies of signatures, if kid can sign, otherwise thumbprint. One would need to upload electronic copy on that website. Also, keep in mind, the scanned files of signatures/ thumbprint needs to be less then certain MB files. I don’t recall exact number now but I do remember cutting papers strips just enough to be able to scan only the required area using minimum possible paper size on my scanner multiple times to get the right size that the Govt of India website would accept.

Hope this is helpful…

Comment

Any update from your side?

Pavithara, thank you for your response.
                I was looking at a recent post by someone in a different thread and it appears that it is not mandatory to get the OCI card re-issued for a minor (what we already have now is a OCI card for the minor). I'm still confused as I see posts saying we have and we don't have to get the OCI card reissued. In any case, I've decided to wait it out a few years to see how else Govt of India is going to change the rules regarding OCI re-issue for minors. Maybe, I'll just wait for her to turn 18 and then get the reissue once and for all?!
                Hello @jenim
                Any update from you side, whether you made a recent trip to India with out renewing the OCI card for your minor child.

Any info would be helpful.

Thanks!

Comment

Any update from your side?

Hello @jenim

Any update from you side, in case you made a recent trip to India with out renewing the OCI card for your minor child.

Any info would be helpful.

Thanks!

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                  X