Letter of Tax Exemption Help! Form I-864

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Letter of Tax Exemption Help! Form I-864

According to the instructions of the I-864 I have to provide a letter and "evidence" of why I have no tax returns

" If you were not required to file a Federal income tax return under U.S. tax law for any other reason, attach a typed or printed explanation including evidence of the exemption and how you are subject to it. Residence outside of the United States does not exempt U.S. citizens or lawful permanent residents from filing a U.S. Federal income tax return."

I have no tax returns for the past 3 years because I was a full-time student and working part time jobs where I did not make enough income to file for those years. The past year I married my wife abroad and work abroad to pay for the immigration process. I want to know what kind of proof am I supposed to provide to show why I have no tax returns. Any Input would be apreciated, thank you.

I want to add that my joint sponser makes well above the poverty guidlines so is my tax information even necessary?
    Last edited by TXmember963; 03-13-2017, 07:14 PM.

Just cite the income threshold for being required to file a tax return, from the respective year's Form 1040 instructions, in the section in the beginning called "Do You Have To File?", and state your income for that year and that it was lower than the filing threshold.

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by newacct View Post
      Just cite the income threshold for being required to file a tax return, from the respective year's Form 1040 instructions, in the section in the beginning called "Do You Have To File?", and state your income for that year and that it was lower than the filing threshold.
      It is what I was planning on doing, thank you for the confirmation.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X