2017 - should I go for OCI or just Indian visa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2017 - should I go for OCI or just Indian visa

We are Indian couples who had a baby in USA. Since Modi came to power and announced a new scheme of integrating PIO and OCI , I still dont have anyone in my circle who can shed light on this.

So I have a question that might be often asked before - Should I get a PIO card or OCI card for new US born baby? Or should it be fine if I just applied for Indian visa (if so what kind of Indian visa?) ?

Your helpful answers/opinion will be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Originally posted by joy8385 View Post
    We are Indian couples who had a baby in USA. Since Modi came to power and announced a new scheme of integrating PIO and OCI , I still dont have anyone in my circle who can shed light on this.

So I have a question that might be often asked before - Should I get a PIO card or OCI card for new US born baby? Or should it be fine if I just applied for Indian visa (if so what kind of Indian visa?) ?

Your helpful answers/opinion will be appreciated. Thanks in advance!
    Hi,

PIO is not longer issued. Either your kid should have an OCI or Tourist Visa if you want to take your kid to India. Tourist Visa is valid only for 5 years for Minors and 10 yrs for adults. OCI also needs to be renewed every 5 years or on renewal of US passport till your kid is 18 yrs of age.

I would prefer OCI over Tourist Visa as staying limit in India is 6 months for Tourist Visa for each visit whereas there is no staying limit on OCI.

Comment

Originally posted by pavithara View Post

I would prefer OCI over Tourist Visa as staying limit in India is 6 months for Tourist Visa for each visit whereas there is no staying limit on OCI.
      As long as one meets the eligibility requirements for OCI, is there any reason to go for Tourist Visa over OCI?

Comment

There's no PIO card anymore.

Get your kid OCI card, then she/he will never have to struggle with visas to India and if he/she ever wants to work/live/study in India, there will be no problems at least in regards to permits.

Comment

Originally posted by ravifremont View Post
          As long as one meets the eligibility requirements for OCI, is there any reason to go for Tourist Visa over OCI?

Reason - timeline for processing OCI card !
          Do you know what is the actual procesing timelines for DC consulate?

Comment

For DC, it is 60 to 80 Business days i think. Check for the timeline at the below link under 'Processing time as per jurisdiction'

ckgs.us is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, ckgs.us has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

Comment

That is not an issue anymore as you no do not need to submit U.S. passport for new OCI. I think tourist visas take 30 days or less. OCI 60-80 days.

So unless you need to travel immediately, there is no reason to take visa over OCI.

ckgs.us is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, ckgs.us has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

What is the processing time for a new OCI card?
              The processing time for New OCI Card is as mentioned in the following table:
              Application Center Processing Time at Embassy/Consulate & New Delhi for OCI Cards
              Atlanta 45 Business days
              Chicago 45 Business days
              Houston 45 Business days
              San Francisco 60 Business days
              Washington DC 60 to 80 Business days
              New York 25 to 35 Business days

Q.1. Is there any matchup process for OCI card? OR Explain the matchup process?
              The Matchup process for OCI card has been discontinued for the following OCI categories:

New OCI card
              New OCI card for Foreign Spouse of Indian Origin
              OCI in lieu of PIO for Lost PIO card
              Cancellation of OCI card
              Cancellation of PIO card

Comment

They do require you to send original US passport

That is not an issue anymore as you no do not need to submit U.S. passport for new OCI. I think tourist visas take 30 days or less. OCI 60-80 days.

So unless you need to travel immediately, there is no reason to take visa over OCI.

Application Center Processing Time at Embassy/Consulate & New Delhi for OCI Cards
                Atlanta 45 Business days
                Chicago 45 Business days
                Houston 45 Business days

The Matchup process for OCI card has been discontinued for the following OCI categories:

New OCI card
                Cancellation of OCI card
                Cancellation of PIO card
                I recently applied for OCI for my daughter and they did asked me to send original US passport but they send it back pretty quickly.

Comment

thanks guys!

Atlanta 45 Business days
                  Chicago 45 Business days
                  Houston 45 Business days

New OCI card
                  Cancellation of OCI card
                  Cancellation of PIO card
                  Originally posted by pavithara View Post
                  For DC, it is 60 to 80 Business days i think. Check for the timeline at the below link under 'Processing time as per jurisdiction'

http://www.in.ckgs.us/faq

Comment

Originally posted by skynice View Post
                    I recently applied for OCI for my daughter and they did asked me to send original US passport but they send it back pretty quickly.
                    So did you apply for OCI before getting the US passport? How long did it take for them to respond back to you ? If you can provide the timeline between your applying and them sending you the OCI, it would be helpful.

Comment

Got US Passport back within 10 days

So did you apply for OCI before getting the US passport? How long did it take for them to respond back to you ? If you can provide the timeline between your applying and them sending you the OCI, it would be helpful.
                      Not sure about your first question "So did you apply for OCI before getting the US passport?" --US passport is required in order to apply for OCI as you would have to enter the details like issue date/expiration date and passport number. I applied at the SFO center and had to send my kids original US passport, which I got back within 10 days. But OCI takes longer, as I still haven't received it(think for SFO its 60 days). The difficult part is getting the application in and getting all the papers together. It took me hours/days to prepare all the documents as for kids you have to sign the parental consent form in front of a notary. But once you send it and follow all the instructions, you can track the progress of your application online, which is super helpful. Also if you are missing any document, they will email you and send you instructions.

Comment

Originally posted by skynice View Post
                        Not sure about your first question "So did you apply for OCI before getting the US passport?" --US passport is required in order to apply for OCI as you would have to enter the details like issue date/expiration date and passport number. I applied at the SFO center and had to send my kids original US passport, which I got back within 10 days. But OCI takes longer, as I still haven't received it(think for SFO its 60 days). The difficult part is getting the application in and getting all the papers together. It took me hours/days to prepare all the documents as for kids you have to sign the parental consent form in front of a notary. But once you send it and follow all the instructions, you can track the progress of your application online, which is super helpful. Also if you are missing any document, they will email you and send you instructions.
                        Thank you dear! This is helpful!

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                        X