Same-Sex Couple Marriage Options?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Same-Sex Couple Marriage Options?

I am a US citizen and my fiancée is a citizen of Venezuela, and we are both males. We are exploring options for getting married and having him move here to the US. There seem to be three ways this will be possible but we are wondering which would be the easiest way, least expensive way, all the while maintaining everything legal. He currently has a 10 year B-2 expiring late 2022. We have been together for a year and have documented our relationship through texts, emails, and photos from vacations in the US and abroad.

The options are:

(1) Sponsor for a K-1 visa, marry in the US and adjust status to PR.

(2) Marry in the US while he is visiting on the tourist visa, he returns to his home country as planned, and petition for his immigration to the US on a CR-1.

(3) Marry abroad in a country that recognizes same-sex marriages (Venezuela does not, we would consider Colombia or Mexico), and we return to our respective home countries and petition for his CR-1.

I would like to add that petitioning for the CR-1 does not have to be immediate. He will need time to conclude things in Venezuela before relocating to America.

Thanks for all advice offered.

Where do you want to get married?
    When do you want to get married?
    When do you want to begin living together in the United States?

Comment

Originally posted by inadmissible View Post
      Where do you want to get married?
      When do you want to get married?
      When do you want to begin living together in the United States?
      We are not dead set on a location for getting married. When to get married and when to begin living together in the US is flexible, no real dates yet, but there is no rush.

Comment

If there is no rush, start applying for a fiancee visa now, and if you do end up getting married abroad instead, then file the paperwork for a spousal visa

The general downside is that either consular process takes a long time (ballpark 1yr), but that isn't a problem for you two

Comment

Originally posted by inadmissible View Post
          If there is no rush, start applying for a fiancee visa now, and if you do end up getting married abroad instead, then file the paperwork for a spousal visa

The general downside is that either consular process takes a long time (ballpark 1yr), but that isn't a problem for you two
          Thanks for the advice! I am just concerned that his visitor's visa will get cancelled or otherwise jeopardized for travel while either fiancée or spousal visa are pending. He has a couple of trips to the US planned this year of like a month long each. I did tell him that I wont file for a fiancée or spousal visa until he no longer intends on using the US visitor visa for a foreseeable time. He is ok with that. He seems very patient which is good. He is not ready yet to uproot from Venezuela despite the conditions there. We will continue to meet in different foreign locations.

Although, the idea of us getting married while he is here on a tourist visa is appealing, as he says he knows some friends that have done that and have stayed and adjusted status with no problem. If that were to happen with us however, he would not stay, he would leave before his I-94 expires and return home. I would later file for a spousal visa but I am not sure if this would cause a future problem. We have looked into getting married in Mexico, Colombia and Spain for example and the process seems not only expensive but complex. Getting married in Las Vegas seems to be quite easier.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
          X