Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F1 renewal 221g for PhD student

Hi all,
    I have a fully funded PhD in biomed sciences, and I came to Mumbai consulate this Dec. for renewing the F1 visa (I'm a 5th year student).
    I had to go through the Dropbox process, but was called in for an interview nonetheless. The interview was good, and lasted for less than a minute, at the end of which I got a white slip asking me to submit research details, CV, publications to [email protected]
    I did this and two week later I got back an email asking for my advisor's CV -- I submitted this as well.

I had my interview on Dec. 29th 2016 and it has been almost 3 months now; I haven't heard back anything from the consulate.
    The CEAC site shows "Administrative Processing" and the status hasn't changed since the interview data (Dec. 29th).
    I emailed [email protected], and I got back a reply from the Consular Information Unit saying they regret the delay but the case is undergoing "mandatory administrative processing".

I have no idea what's taking so long!?
    If this is related to my research field how come there was no issue while issuing the first visa??

Curious if anyone else has experienced something similar.

Thanks!

Hi,

Did not have similar experience but it is possible I maybe in such a situation next year. I am planning to get married in Dec 2017 in India and get my F-1 visa renewed. I will be a 5th year(in Dec 2017) PhD student majoring in molecular biology. Even if my field does not come under TAL, I have a common Muslim last name so I think 221g is inevitable.

Can you keep me in loop as to when your situation gets resolved? Also if you were able to find any more such cases of a 5th year PhD student stuck in 221g?

Comment

How long did it eventually take to get any response? And what was the response?

Thanks

Originally posted by neuro_guy View Post
      Hi all,
      I have a fully funded PhD in biomed sciences, and I came to Mumbai consulate this Dec. for renewing the F1 visa (I'm a 5th year student).
      I had to go through the Dropbox process, but was called in for an interview nonetheless. The interview was good, and lasted for less than a minute, at the end of which I got a white slip asking me to submit research details, CV, publications to [email protected]
      I did this and two week later I got back an email asking for my advisor's CV -- I submitted this as well.

I had my interview on Dec. 29th 2016 and it has been almost 3 months now; I haven't heard back anything from the consulate.
      The CEAC site shows "Administrative Processing" and the status hasn't changed since the interview data (Dec. 29th).
      I emailed [email protected], and I got back a reply from the Consular Information Unit saying they regret the delay but the case is undergoing "mandatory administrative processing".

I have no idea what's taking so long!?
      If this is related to my research field how come there was no issue while issuing the first visa??

Curious if anyone else has experienced something similar.

Thanks!

Comment

PhD Renewal

Hi ,

What?s your update on VISA?

Did it get approved?

I?m also going to renew my visa next year

Need ur advice

Comment

PhD student visa renewal

What?s your update!

Comment