Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Utterly confused about name change process

Hello everyone,
    I am a German citizen and got married to my husband who is a US citizen in July 2016. We applied for Adjustment of Status from F1 to green card in 09/2016 and are still waiting for the interview. I attempted to change my last name right after the wedding by taking my social security card to SSA with our marriage certificate but they said I first have to change my name with my school. I spoke to my school and learned I need to present to them my German passport with my new last name before they can change it in my F1 documents.

I googled and googled but feel so lost how to exactly change my last name. I'd like to do that before the interview but in order to get a new passport I'd need to travel back home for AT LEAST 2 weeks and simply don't have the vacation time. There must be another way. Any advise is appreciated!!!!

Thank you!
    Alex

Yes you need to change your name on your passport first before any other documents change. Just let the GC process go through they will not be able to change. I'm not sure why u are changing if it's because of doing the GC what alot of ppl don't know is that you really don't need to change your name when married they don't care about that. Your marriage certificate is prove enough.

That's not something is required for them

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X