Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Applicant for K1 Visa

Greetings,

We are considering to apply for K1 Visa for myself, the foreign fiancee, a canadian, is engaged with an American citizen, a US Veteran.
    We have been comparing K1 to K3 and both decided to go with K1 Visa, since it is the quickest way for us to be together.
    There's a couple things that we want to find out hoping that someone has a greater knowledge from this forum will be able to help us.

1. Paper Work : This is what we have collected from reading instructions from USCIS website that we think we need.
    - A Cheque for the Fee (Does this have to be an American cheque or can it be a Canadian Cheque?)
    - Form I-129F (sponsorship paper work it self)
    - Form G-325A (Biographic Info from both sponsor and beneficiary)
    - Form I-864 (Affidavit of Support) --> this case, we have his father to co-sponsor since his income isnt enough to cover for the income requirement.
    - Form G-1145 (text/email notifications regarding to our application)
    - Letter of Intent to Marry (we made a letter saying that we are planning to get married within 90 days, blah blah, and then signatures from both of us)
    - Evidence of Relationship ( we have itineraries, pictures, skype conversations, phone bills) - hoping that this is enough.

--> Now, we want to know if this is all we need. We are planning to submit this application this coming June 2017.
    And, also how long does it take from the time we submitted this paperwork to the day I can enter the US?

--> We were also considering to hire an immigration lawyer to work on our paperwork, est. fee is $3600 + tax (CAD) and Government Fees.
    Would this be worth it?

Thank you so much. All your help will be greatly appreciated.

Daniela

The I-129F doesn't require a G-325A if you are using the new 4/10/17 edition; if you are using the 12/23/16 edition, then G-325A is still required.

You don't need I-864; that's for way later. After the I-129F is approved, and applying for the K-1 visa, you will need an I-134 nonbinding affidavit of support. And after entering the US and marrying, when filing for Adjustment of Status in the US, that's when I-864, the binding affidavit of support, will be needed.

K-3 is obsolete; you will not get K-3. You would get an immigrant visa directly if you go that route.

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

is it worth it

Originally posted by hernameisela View Post
      Greetings,

We are considering to apply for K1 Visa for myself, the foreign fiancee, a canadian, is engaged with an American citizen, a US Veteran.
      We have been comparing K1 to K3 and both decided to go with K1 Visa, since it is the quickest way for us to be together.
      There's a couple things that we want to find out hoping that someone has a greater knowledge from this forum will be able to help us.

1. Paper Work : This is what we have collected from reading instructions from USCIS website that we think we need.
      - A Cheque for the Fee (Does this have to be an American cheque or can it be a Canadian Cheque?)
      - Form I-129F (sponsorship paper work it self)
      - Form G-325A (Biographic Info from both sponsor and beneficiary)
      - Form I-864 (Affidavit of Support) --> this case, we have his father to co-sponsor since his income isnt enough to cover for the income requirement.
      - Form G-1145 (text/email notifications regarding to our application)
      - Letter of Intent to Marry (we made a letter saying that we are planning to get married within 90 days, blah blah, and then signatures from both of us)
      - Evidence of Relationship ( we have itineraries, pictures, skype conversations, phone bills) - hoping that this is enough.

--> Now, we want to know if this is all we need. We are planning to submit this application this coming June 2017.
      And, also how long does it take from the time we submitted this paperwork to the day I can enter the US?

--> We were also considering to hire an immigration lawyer to work on our paperwork, est. fee is $3600 + tax (CAD) and Government Fees.
      Would this be worth it?

Thank you so much. All your help will be greatly appreciated.

Daniela

Canadian to a Canadian - you don't need a lawyer, just throwing good money down the toilet. If you have a clean history in Canada no criminal offenses its a straight forward process. If you are not together while you start the paperwork , get on face time and work through it together. I married an American, we started the process a year ago December, and it sailed through. Now if you are hoping to work when you get here, think again. K1 will not allow you to work OR leave the country until the advance parole and work auth if filed at the same time is through. Make sure you do file the advance parole paperwork so you can leave the country while waiting for your green card. If you get married before you enter, then stay in Canada wait for all the paperwork and enter the US with the ability to work.....

We didn't use a lawyer, just takes a little research which we did on our own , I never even used this site thats how simple it was....

Comment

Originally posted by SGI View Post
        Canadian to a Canadian - you don't need a lawyer, just throwing good money down the toilet. If you have a clean history in Canada no criminal offenses its a straight forward process. If you are not together while you start the paperwork , get on face time and work through it together. I married an American, we started the process a year ago December, and it sailed through. Now if you are hoping to work when you get here, think again. K1 will not allow you to work OR leave the country until the advance parole and work auth if filed at the same time is through. Make sure you do file the advance parole paperwork so you can leave the country while waiting for your green card. If you get married before you enter, then stay in Canada wait for all the paperwork and enter the US with the ability to work.....

We didn't use a lawyer, just takes a little research which we did on our own , I never even used this site thats how simple it was....

Thank you so much!

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by newacct View Post
        The I-129F doesn't require a G-325A if you are using the new 4/10/17 edition; if you are using the 12/23/16 edition, then G-325A is still required.

You don't need I-864; that's for way later. After the I-129F is approved, and applying for the K-1 visa, you will need an I-134 nonbinding affidavit of support. And after entering the US and marrying, when filing for Adjustment of Status in the US, that's when I-864, the binding affidavit of support, will be needed.

K-3 is obsolete; you will not get K-3. You would get an immigrant visa directly if you go that route.

Thank you.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X