Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I485 approved, but we're separated now, what happens?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I485 approved, but we're separated now, what happens?

Case Was Approved
    On April #, 2017, we approved your Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or to Adjust Status, Receipt Number #. We will mail your approval notice. Please follow the instructions in the notice.

I'm the petitioner, and she no longer wishes to be with me and left. We're still married, but she's not telling me what she plans to do and I tried to give her enough time to make up her mind fully. I'm back in the country where we both lived previously (I'm dual citizen). Is there a way to cancel the green card process at this junctor since she says she doesn't want it? It should be coming to my US forwarding address.
    Last edited by MidnightEagle; 04-19-2017, 12:30 PM.

She can't withdraw an application to adjust status after it has been approved
    (You petitioned her as an alien relative on Form I-130, but she is the applicant on Form I-485)
    If she doesn't want to be a permanent resident of the United States she need not do anything. Her permanent residence is likely conditional (I assume you both were married for less than two years when PR was granted) so it will lapse on its own in two years when she doesn't apply to have those conditions removed.
    If she has specific tax reasons to avoid being a permanent resident, she can affirmatively file to abandon her PR using Form I-407

Comment

Originally posted by inadmissible View Post
      She can't withdraw an application to adjust status after it has been approved
      (You petitioned her as an alien relative on Form I-130, but she is the applicant on Form I-485)
      If she doesn't want to be a permanent resident of the United States she need not do anything. Her permanent residence is likely conditional (I assume you both were married for less than two years when PR was granted) so it will lapse on its own in two years when she doesn't apply to have those conditions removed.
      If she has specific tax reasons to avoid being a permanent resident, she can affirmatively file to abandon her PR using Form I-407
      So there's no interview at this point where we could contest it?

Comment

That ship has sailed

However this turns out, I hope it all works out for the best. You're going to get through this

Comment

Originally posted by inadmissible View Post
          That ship has sailed

However this turns out, I hope it all works out for the best. You're going to get through this
          Sigh. Thanks, for both the info and for the support.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
          X