Concurrent Visa's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Concurrent Visa's

I am a British student in the application process for two separate j-1 visa’s. One for work over the summer, the second to study for a semester. The dates of the visa’s will be running concurrently, therefore will I still be required to leave the country after the first ends even though my second visa will be valid at that point? Just to clarify I will not be holding two visa’s at the same time, the dates will not overlap in anyway but will be concurrent. eg. Visa A expires=September 2nd, Visa B valid=September 3rd.
    I have contacted the state department and they haven't provided much useful information.
    any help would be great.

A visa is only for entry into the country. It should not be confused with having a valid status. So whether the visas overlap or run concurrently has nothing t do with your case. You just need 1 visa to enter the country (unless you want to leave and re-enter at some point after the first visa expires). So what you would do is:
    (1) Case 1: Prior to the expiry of your first J1, you will apply for a change of status to the 2nd one asking for the requisite date ranges;
    (2) Case 2: Get visa(s) covering both the time periods, and leave after the first J1 and reenter with the 2nd J1, so that you will have a valid I94 to cover your entire stay.
    Just an opinion; Not legal advice.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X