Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• L1A Visa at Canadian Border, L2 dependent Visa

Hi Guys,

We are a Canadian family & I got a job in US. I have received an L1A blanket application from lawyers of my company, but nothing for my wife and kid. I plan to go across the border to make sure my L1 is stamped and there are no issues before I can safely sell of my belongings and plan moving to the US.

Q1) Can you go to the border with L1A blanket application, get you visa and turn-around to come back into Canada and go at a later date. Is there some constraints, i.e. must re-enter US in X days or must stay in US for Y days before re-entering?

Q2) If I go with my family, do my wife & son need to fill any forms/application or does she get some L2-status and have to apply for work-permits later when in US?

Thanks.

Originally posted by Maple123 View Post
    Hi Guys,

We are a Canadian family & I got a job in US. I have received an L1A blanket application from lawyers of my company, but nothing for my wife and kid. I plan to go across the border to make sure my L1 is stamped and there are no issues before I can safely sell of my belongings and plan moving to the US.

Q1) Can you go to the border with L1A blanket application, get you visa and turn-around to come back into Canada and go at a later date. Is there some constraints, i.e. must re-enter US in X days or must stay in US for Y days before re-entering?

Q2) If I go with my family, do my wife & son need to fill any forms/application or does she get some L2-status and have to apply for work-permits later when in US?

Thanks.
    For your wife and kid you are not going to receive a package. You will use your own package and fill the DS-160 for the 3 of you. I never got the visa at the border. I did the L1A last time in the US Consulate in Ottawa (you can do it in Toronto, Montreal, Calgary, etc). The visa is approved/denied during an interview and they will retain your passport for 4 days to put the visa on it - you will get it in the post office or in your home address. Then you go to the border with the visa to get the first entry (stamp). You will have to pay for the I94 (by land only) and this will be considered your first entry under the new L1A visa. There is no minimum stay as far as I know. Your family can arrive later and have a different date in their L2, no problem at all. I did like this. And you can travel between countries with no issue - just always use your L1A visa so the I94 reflects the right information. At POE sometimes they decide (CBP officer) not to create a new entry to US since your previous I-94 is still valid - but you can ask for it.

Your family can travel to Canada and return to US while you continue working in US. They don`t need to be with you. However, it is always good that they carry a copy of the I129S so they have the information if needed.

Your wife will enter under L2, she will need the I94 to apply for the SSN. This takes 1-2 weeks. Add 2 weeks for the SSN arrives. After having the SSN you can apply for EAD. Takes about 60 days.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X