Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Spouse of Indian Citizen - Visa Options?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spouse of Indian Citizen - Visa Options?

Hi everyone,
    My fiance is Indian and we are currently going through process of having him move here on K1 visa. I previously used eTV visa's when I visited him twice, but I just applied for a regular tourist visa. It's on the way back to me from CKGS right now so not sure if I got approved for the 10 year or not (I'm a US citizen), but either way the tourist visa is only good for 6 months at a time. Does anyone know if there is a different visa I can apply for after we are married that will allow me to stay in India longer than 6 months? I understand I can't apply for OCI card until we are married at least 2 years. Is OCI my only option? So will I just have to keep the tourist visa until being married 2 years then I can apply for an OCI card?

Reason I ask is in case the K1 visa is not approved I will want to move to India to get married and live there with him, but that will not be feasible on a tourist visa if I can only stay in India for up to 6 months at a time.

Originally posted by Kozmicblues View Post
    Hi everyone,
    My fiance is Indian and we are currently going through process of having him move here on K1 visa. I previously used eTV visa's when I visited him twice, but I just applied for a regular tourist visa. It's on the way back to me from CKGS right now so not sure if I got approved for the 10 year or not (I'm a US citizen), but either way the tourist visa is only good for 6 months at a time. Does anyone know if there is a different visa I can apply for after we are married that will allow me to stay in India longer than 6 months? I understand I can't apply for OCI card until we are married at least 2 years. Is OCI my only option? So will I just have to keep the tourist visa until being married 2 years then I can apply for an OCI card?

Reason I ask is in case the K1 visa is not approved I will want to move to India to get married and live there with him, but that will not be feasible on a tourist visa if I can only stay in India for up to 6 months at a time.
    I don't think you can get OCI based on marrying an Indian spouse, maybe PIO.

Comment

Spouses are eligible, but the marriage must "have subsisted for 2 years immediately before applying"

Comment

Originally posted by inadmissible View Post
        Spouses are eligible, but the marriage must "have subsisted for 2 years immediately before applying"
        Thank you. I must have missed that notification.

is that on CKGS or BOI website?

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X