Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Successful H1B stamping in Calgary, Canada on April 25, 2017

Hi,

My H1B visa got approved in Calgary on April 25 and I will be collecting my passport from the post office tomorrow (Apr 28). I got a mail today saying my passport is ready for pick up.

This was not my first H1B. I already had a stamped H1B previously, then I changed my company and had come here to get new H1B visa stamped. But its the first time I got my stamping done from anywhere else, other than India. Reading all forum topics I felt Calgary is quite safe option- I mean havent heard of rejections or blue slips(I may be unaware... I dont know).

My interview was at 8:50am on Tuesday Apr 25 and I reached there at around 8:30am at Rocky Mountain Plaza building. On the ground floor itself there were some govt personnels, who checked my documents(DS-160 confirmation page or Appointment confirmation). *For me they only checked DS-160 which I had filled online and paid fees online and that was enough for them. For few others I saw they were asking for appointment confirmation which clearly showed their name and time on appointment on it. If you have paid the visa fees, please bring a reciept of it as well. In the screening room, they checked all belongings(no bags allowed, not even a plastic bag) so you have to hold ALL your documents in your hand throughout. You can keep a small wallet with you though. After screening some personnel took a bunch of us in a line to 10th floor where the actual consulate is. Only those authorized personnel have access to it.

On window 1 and 3 they checked the documents again(passport and I1979 original). They put the passport(with previous H1B page open and new I797 placed in between) and gave it back to me to take it to the interview counter in the same way. Then went on to the fingerprinting window. Since I already paid the fee online I was not directed to the payment window, while others who had not paid the fee were directed for payment.

The Interview:

VO: passport please

Gave the passport(which had the I1979 tucked in it)

VO:So which visa are you applying for
    Me: H1B

VO: You have been on H1B previously too
    Me: yes

VO:What are you going to work as?
    Me: Told the role

VO: Which company?
    Me: Told the company name. (its a medical company but I am into software)

VO:Where are you going to work?
    Me: Sunnyvale California

VO:From where did you do your education?
    Me:India

VO: What did you study?
    Me:Masters in computer sience

VO:Are you married
    Me:Yes

VO:Whats your husband's status
    Me: H1B too

VO: How much do you get paid?
    Me: Told my annual package (its quite close to the new proposed H1B payscale number)
    VO:American dollars?
    Me: yes American dollars

VO: Here, this is for you.. (gave me a "Know your rights" booklet and a sheet of paper which had instructions on how to collect my passport) Visa is approved.
    Me: Thank you.

And came back. Tuesday was my interview and Thursday I got the mail that passport is ready for pick up. One important thing- 1 day before my interview I got a mail from US Visa consulate office calgary, that I needed to get a new visa photo(probably previous one wasnt exactly according to specification), so I went out and got a new photo clicked*which was ready in few minutes. So its good to keep checking your mails a day before your interview, in case there is something they want to communicate they could mail you. All the Best to all.

Going for interview next month to get H1 stamped

Thanks much for sharing your experience. In Calgary where you stayed? Can you please give me a pointer.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X