Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Political Asylum and J-1

Hi all,

I am currently in the US on an F-1 visa, at the end of my OPT period. I had previously held a J-1 visa and fulfilled 14 months out of 24 of the 2-year home residency rule.

My boyfriend and I decided to get married and file an I-130 for me while I go back home to fulfill the last 10 months of the 2YHRR. However, we are scared of how things could escalate in that region of the world while I go back. First, where my family lives in Russia is very close to North Korea; with them launching missiles left and right VERY close to my town, I am afraid to live there. Second, because of all the conflicts Russia is involved in (especially the Syrian war in which Russian involvement killed so many civilians), I am afraid of their escalation and worsening of the situation... that region of the world has been highly unstable and I am afraid of going there and not coming back to my husband. My political opinions are also very different from those of the russian government.

I am not sure if I was to file for asylum and explain all this in greater detail with more examples of why I am afraid to go back would be enough and worth trying?

Also, I am not sure which route to take. File for asylum and get married later, while it is processing? Or just get married as we planned and file for a J-1 waiver based on my fears and the political situation there?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

It sounds like a pretty weak asylum case to me. Check with a community organization that helps asylees and refugees

Russia is a big country. Your concerns about a specific region, if justifiable, can't be extrapolated to the entire country

Or get a waiver

Comment

Originally posted by inadmissible View Post
      It sounds like a pretty weak asylum case to me. Check with a community organization that helps asylees and refugees

Russia is a big country. Your concerns about a specific region, if justifiable, can't be extrapolated to the entire country

Or get a waiver

Yes, it is not a strong case. you are not being Persecuted.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X