Fbar: I forgot, now what?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fbar: I forgot, now what?

I forgot to file the FBAR for the last 2 year. I have a bank account in Europe where max I have was 40k a year.
    Should I report it now (amended) with the risk of getting a penalty/fine or ignore and get worse consequences when next year I will start reporting the FBAR?

Is filing FBAR the only thing you have forgotten to do? If so take advantage of the IRS's "just file it" program https://www.irs.gov/individuals/inte...ion-procedures

If you have also been "forgetting" to pay taxes on your offshore interest income, your choices become more complicated

Comment

Originally posted by inadmissible View Post
      Is filing FBAR the only thing you have forgotten to do? If so take advantage of the IRS's "just file it" program https://www.irs.gov/individuals/inte...ion-procedures

If you have also been "forgetting" to pay taxes on your offshore interest income, your choices become more complicated
      all I know is that I did not include the Fbar for that amount.

Will I get a fine?
      Will my next visa transfer be penalized?

Comment

It says on the link I provided:

The IRS will not impose a penalty for the failure to file the delinquent FBARs if you properly reported on your U.S. tax returns, and paid all tax on, the income from the foreign financial accounts reported on the delinquent FBARs, and you have not previously been contacted regarding an income tax examination or a request for delinquent returns for the years for which the delinquent FBARs are submitted.
        emphasis added by me

Comment

It says on the link I provided:

emphasis added by me

I have not reported the FBAR as well as its interest so what should I expect?

Comment

You can amend your prior tax returns to include the interest income, pay the difference in taxes (as well as any income tax penalties that apply for late payment), and then file the delinquent FBARs... but you can not rely on the IRS's generous offer to waive all FBAR failure to file penalties. You could just hope that they don't assess FBAR related penalties. If you need absolute certainly about FBAR related liability, you can utilize their Streamlined Filing Procedure (where you pay a 5% miscellaneous offshore penalty) https://www.irs.gov/individuals/inte...nce-procedures if you can credibly certify that your noncompliance was not willful

Comment

when is the deadline?

Comment

The deadline for Form 1040 (income tax) late penalties (and interest thereon) is typically April 15th of the year following the tax year in question. In your case, that has passed, so you will owe late penalties on income taxes passed due

The deadline for "just file it", streamlined filing procedure, and the offshore voluntary disclosure program is effectively the date on which you are selected for an income tax exam (audit). Once you're selected for an audit, all these deals are off the table

You don't qualify for assurances under the "just file it" procedure because you aren't current on your income taxes due, so until you're selected for exam your chances of being examined is *maybe*, as opposed to *certainly* once you are indeed selected for an exam

Comment

The deadline for Form 1040 (income tax) late penalties (and interest thereon) is typically April 15th of the year following the tax year in question. In your case, that has passed, so you will owe late penalties on income taxes passed due

The deadline for "just file it", streamlined filing procedure, and the offshore voluntary disclosure program is effectively the date on which you are selected for an income tax exam (audit). Once you're selected for an audit, all these deals are off the table

You don't qualify for assurances under the "just file it" procedure because you aren't current on your income taxes due, so until you're selected for exam your chances of being examined is *maybe*, as opposed to *certainly* once you are indeed selected for an exam

Can you elaborate a bit on this exam (audit)? What do I have expect from it? Penalties? If so how much?

Comment

Income tax penalties are small potatoes, especially since the deficiency is small - just bank interest https://www.irs.gov/uac/newsroom/eig...ment-penalties

FBAR penalties are onerous, you want to avoid those

Comment

Income tax penalties are small potatoes, especially since the deficiency is small - just bank interest https://www.irs.gov/uac/newsroom/eig...ment-penalties

FBAR penalties are onerous, you want to avoid those http://www.thetaxadviser.com/newslet...penalties.html
                      this looks scary
                      I was a simple immigrant who move to the US on a non-permanent visa. Does this exclude me from declaring the FBAR?
                      Again we are talking about 40k max that I had a year

Comment

Originally posted by sanrin View Post
                        I was a simple immigrant who move to the US on a non-permanent visa. Does this exclude me from declaring the FBAR?
                        Maybe, if you were on an F or J visa, otherwise you are a US tax resident subject to US tax rules due to your substantial presence
                        Last edited by inadmissible; 06-01-2017, 09:15 PM.

Comment

Maybe, if you were on an F or J visa, otherwise you are a US tax resident subject to US tax rules due to your substantial presence
                          considering the amount of money in my bank account (40K) how big is the risk I will get a penalty? An for how much?

Comment

Originally posted by sanrin View Post
                            I forgot to file the FBAR for the last 2 year. I have a bank account in Europe where max I have was 40k a year.
                            Should I report it now (amended) with the risk of getting a penalty/fine or ignore and get worse consequences when next year I will start reporting the FBAR?
                            Hi,
                            Wondering what you did at last? as I am in same boat

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                            X