Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 10 year Green Card after a divorce - conditional GC needs to be renewed

Hello,

I came to US around 4 years back to complete my masters and 2 years back i fell in love and married a US citizen and got my conditional Green card.
    Now we are getting divorce and my conditional GC expires in Jan,2018. I need to apply for removal of conditions on the GC alone.

I know USCIS looks at cases like this with suspicion - I have proof of health insurance, car insurance, bank accounts, brokerage account, income tax returns(2 years) and many more things that proof that we were living together and were a couple but things didn't work out.

What are my chances of staying in US and file with USCIS to get my conditions removed from my GC to obtain a 10 year GC?
    How difficult would it be?
    I am in Minneapolis,MN ......any good lawyer recommendation who can help me with this scenario would be appreciated.

Please help.

How are things going for you? I am surprised no one responded to your question. Keep in mind that your situation is not unheard of. Sometimes things just don't work out. What is important here is that you are able to show that you entered your marriage in good faith and not to get your Green Card.

This is the information era. You should be able to show joint finances up until the time when you two decided to call it quits. Your spouse plays a part in this, too. If you are in good terms with your spouse, then a statement of good faith from him might help. Negative statements from spouses have been defeated in court and will not be given much value. However, a positive statement from your spouse will go a long way. If USCIS, thinks that your marriage is a sham, then you are both in trouble. It is not just you. Thus, it would be great if your spouse were an ethical human and went to the interview with you if there is one.

You should gather affidavits from friends who watched your relationship deteriorate. Did you seek couple's counseling? A letter from your counselor would be nice. You should also be able to show you two were living together under the same roof quite easily if you have a smart phone. Not to belabor the point, but you can check your location history on your phone and take screenshots of that. You can print out SMS conversations. If you had arguments over text with your spouse, then that would be good evidence.

People don't just split overnight. There had to be some back and forth. Tell the story. Be truthful. You came here for a master's degree. You did not violate any laws when you came here and it seems like your life was in order (you have a brokerage account) but things just didn't work out. By all means, you are an asset to this country. Believe me, just like you are applying for a green card, they get people who have committed terrible crimes are got married just to be able to stay. We want people like you here.

Have faith. It will all work out. Please update when you can. I know how time consuming gathering evidence can be.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X