This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lacrimosa,

Actually, your K1 visa will have to match your passport. The K1 petition can be submitted without matching your passpor, but when you interview, the visa and passport must match.

--Ray B

Originally posted by lacrimosaangel View Post
    Apologies, I am the applicant (UK citizen who will be getting the K1)

Does my K1 have to match my passport? The tickets will, I've just returned from a US visit and used the old name, but we're hoping to file the K1 within the next 6 months so if the K1 needs to match the passport, I need to ensure I have enough time to order a replacement passport :/

Comment

• Originally posted by rayb View Post
      Lacrimosa,

Actually, your K1 visa will have to match your passport. The K1 petition can be submitted without matching your passpor, but when you interview, the visa and passport must match.

--Ray B
      Ah, okay, thanks. So we can go ahead and start the process, then when I interview, I can take the new passport, old passport and change of name deed for proofs for when the visa approves? That'd be useful, because I want to visit again over easter and not sure my new passport will come back in time, if there is a delay at the HMRC :/

Comment

• Passport for applicant question

My passport will have less than 5 years as of the 28th of August. If I cannot get my i - 129 F submitted before then, is there any wiggle room and the 5 year limit for application or do I need to actually renew my passport?

Comment

• It's not clear by what you mean by a "5-year limit." Are you the petitioner or the visa applicant? If the visa applicant, your passport should have at least six months on it when you have your K1 interview.

--Ray B

Originally posted by Oklagonian View Post
          My passport will have less than 5 years as of the 28th of August. If I cannot get my i - 129 F submitted before then, is there any wiggle room and the 5 year limit for application or do I need to actually renew my passport?

Comment

• Originally posted by Oklagonian View Post
            You are misunderstanding the I-129 instructions. There is no requirement on how long it is until your passport expires. It says that a US passport issued with a validity of at least 5 years can be used as proof of US citizenship. All regular non-emergency adult passports are issued with a validity period of 10 years (and child passports are issued with a validity period 5 years). So any valid US passport can be used as proof of US citizenship, even if it expires 1 year from now.

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

• K3 VISA interview

My husband is English. We recently went to the American Consulate in London for his K3 VISA interview. He was initially denied the VISA because of a criminal conviction of burglary 8 years ago. He served 9 months, was released and has maintained a clean record ever since, not even a parking ticket. He went to school, got a degree and has worked in his chosen profession since. We were told we were eligible for a waiver, which we filled out and turned in that day. We also were told that we stated our case very well on the hardship statement part of the waiver form.
              Does anyone have any ideas on our chances of approval?

Comment

• Frankanna,

Waivers are routinely approved, after several months of being sat on by USCIS. On the other hand, approval depends on the credibility of your basis for a waiver, and criminal convictions and jail time, as you described, might not fare very well during the waiver review process. Your "hardship" argument might have been well stated, but nobody can tell you in advance how successful the submittal will turn out.

By the way, was it really a K3 interview, or rather an I-130 CR-1 interview? K3 processing does not seem to be happening much lately (not for the lasts 10 years, but USCIS continuing to tout a K3 as an option is somewhat misleading.

--Ray B

Originally posted by Frankanna View Post
                My husband is English. We recently went to the American Consulate in London for his K3 VISA interview. He was initially denied the VISA because of a criminal conviction of burglary 8 years ago. He served 9 months, was released and has maintained a clean record ever since, not even a parking ticket. He went to school, got a degree and has worked in his chosen profession since. We were told we were eligible for a waiver, which we filled out and turned in that day. We also were told that we stated our case very well on the hardship statement part of the waiver form.
                Does anyone have any ideas on our chances of approval?

Comment

• Last Case Status update has been 255 days. Should we be worried?

An RFE was sent on 10/09/2018 to my wife’s address but she didn’t receive for apparent reasons so we requested for an address change on 11/08/2018 and on 11/13/2018 my Case Status changed to Request for Evidence for your Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative. Our Potomac Service Center office is working on your case again and on 11/15/2018 Request For Evidence that you did not receive, referral number SR13091805189YSC, was completed. The current Case Status has gone back to ‘Case Received’. Anyone with suggestion why it’s taking so long to get a definite answer would be warmly appreciated. Thank you

Comment

• Hello community, I need some guidance my fianc

Comment

• Hi all.

Today my female fiance had her interview for K1-VISA today. We are both 50 years young and believe me my Fiancee looks 35)

Her interview didn't go as planned. We have counsel in America and we filed with USCIS on 03/26/2019.

We meet or exceed or exceed every requirement per our filing. She received a PINK 221g, requesting only a certified copy of her former husband's death Certificate her copy was old and not best quality and in black and white. However, she was remarried in 2010 and divorced a year later. If you know Ukrainie you already know why she got divorced. She has been single since. We have met in 03/20/2018 and I visited in November of 2018 for 12 days wherein I asked for her hand in marriage, of course with permission 1st from her son who is grown.

It was a devastating day for her to say the least and myself, but you know what I mean as devastating for her. The K1-VISA process is difficult and should be. I Know the CO has to do their job and they have very high caseloads. My Fiancee was interviewed for almost 30 minutes and answered everything she could with dignity. I know the CO has to challenge and feel her out. I get the Death Certificate needing to be in Color, from what I now understand now, that it is Ukrainian law that documents of this nature have to be in Color for their legality.

I am disappointed, because she was legally able to re-marry.

Thank you for taking time to read this post. My Fiancee has very old school values and this has devastated her

We are just so disappointed and in need of encouragement

t.f

Comment

• I would like to support you. Good luck fighting K1-VISA!

I also had a bad interview experience. This is unpleasant, but no more.

Comment

• Originally posted by hkopos
                          Congratulations on getting married.

The determination as to what office you should submit your I-130, Petition for Alien Relative is based on where "you" the petitioner will be residing at the time of filing.

If you will be outside the United States, and would like to sponsor your spouse, you can submit your I-130 petition with the nearest U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) abroad. On USCIS website it will provide you with a listing of overseas offices.
                          Note that most overseas USCIS offices have been closed.

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

• I am married to a US citizen and currently in need of an attorney in Fresno California. Do you all know any good attorney I could reach out to for my case?

Comment

• Thank you for information

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                              X