temporary addresses and state id

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• temporary addresses and state id

I think I'm a bit in a muddle with my addresses.

I've got a green card diversity visa, which has been sent to a friend of a friends address in California. Now, since I entered the US, I have been volunteering for board and lodge in Hawaii. None of these addresses are permanent.

Though, I got my social security number sent to one of those addresses, also the market place correspondence, and I just applied for a state ID also using that address. But I'm on the move again.

What do I do with USCIS? Will they consider that address as permanent because I have important mail sent there and get a state ID. Or will they consider this as temporary and will want to use the California address?

Help! I'm confused!

what do you want to use the address for? Just to update USCIS?

Originally posted by youssou View Post
    I think I'm a bit in a muddle with my addresses.

I've got a green card diversity visa, which has been sent to a friend of a friends address in California. Now, since I entered the US, I have been volunteering for board and lodge in Hawaii. None of these addresses are permanent.

Though, I got my social security number sent to one of those addresses, also the market place correspondence, and I just applied for a state ID also using that address. But I'm on the move again.

What do I do with USCIS? Will they consider that address as permanent because I have important mail sent there and get a state ID. Or will they consider this as temporary and will want to use the California address?

Help! I'm confused!

Comment

Originally posted by abumiqdad View Post
      Thanks, for your reply. Much appreciated.

Yes, apparently USCIS wants to know my permanent address.

But since I entered the US three months ago I was volunteering at a place for two months. I'm now visiting a friend for four weeks and then I do another volunteering job for two months.

Meanwhile they sent the green card to a friend of a friend who forwarded it to where I am at the moment.

I'm unsure which address to give. The first volunteering place, where I received my social security number at as well as some health insurance correspondence, plus it's on my state id. The friends address, because I'm currently staying with her. Or the new volunteering address I will be at next week.

Or alternatively, leave it with the original friend of a friends address.

Seriously confusing. In part this situation occurred because I didn't really understand the significance of giving an address in first place. I thought it's more or less to ensure I receive the green card as I did not know anybody in the US and did not know where I would end up.

Also, I only heard of the fact that I need to report my address to USCIS when I received a brochure together with my green card.

I hope I haven't confused you now.

Comment

Plus, I don't feel very confident that the people at my last volunteering address would handle my mail well and I feel it might be a burdensome for some of the other people.

So, I'm really a bit in a muddle about that.

Comment

Ah and I forgot to mention one important piece of my decision making and this was, when I entered the US the border control officer said the green card is going to be sent to this CA address (the friend of a friends address) and I said I'm going to change that. And he said I can't and I just took his word for it.

Comment

237(a)(3)(A) - (3) Failure to register and falsification of documents.- (A) Change of address.-An alien who has failed to comply with the provisions of section 265 is deportable, unless the alien establishes to the satisfaction of the Attorney General that such failure was reasonably excusable or was not willful.
            Legally it is a deportable offense for not changing your address with USCIS. I haven't found any BIA decisions deporting someone for it though.

8 U.S. Code § 1305 - Notices of change of address
            8 USC 1306 (b) Failure to notify change of address

Any alien or any parent or legal guardian in the United States of any alien who fails to give written notice to the Attorney General, as required by section 1305 of this title, shall be guilty of a misdemeanor and shall, upon conviction thereof, be fined not to exceed $200 or be imprisoned not more than thirty days, or both. Irrespective of whether an alien is convicted and punished as herein provided, any alien who fails to give written notice to the Attorney General, as required by section 1305 of this title, shall be taken into custody and removed in the manner provided by part IV of this subchapter, unless such alien establishes to the satisfaction of the Attorney General that such failure was reasonably excusable or was not willful.

AR-11, it is free and easy to do. The green card would be mailed to the address on file, typically the one located on the Immigrant Data Sheet unless you changed it upon arrival with the US CBP officer, or have filed the AR-11. The I-551 comes in a standard mail envelope. If you have not received it in 120 days after entry, contact USCIS and inquiry. If you wait longer you will be liable to pay for the replacement. If there are any errors on the card, contact USCIS in an info pass, have a new i-90 form completed, there will be no charge to replace the card if the error is on the government.

Comment

Originally posted by paroot View Post
              237(a)(3)(A) - (3) Failure to register and falsification of documents.- (A) Change of address.-An alien who has failed to comply with the provisions of section 265 is deportable, unless the alien establishes to the satisfaction of the Attorney General that such failure was reasonably excusable or was not willful.
              Legally it is a deportable offense for not changing your address with USCIS. I haven't found any BIA decisions deporting someone for it though.

8 U.S. Code § 1305 - Notices of change of address
              8 USC 1306 (b) Failure to notify change of address

Any alien or any parent or legal guardian in the United States of any alien who fails to give written notice to the Attorney General, as required by section 1305 of this title, shall be guilty of a misdemeanor and shall, upon conviction thereof, be fined not to exceed $200 or be imprisoned not more than thirty days, or both. Irrespective of whether an alien is convicted and punished as herein provided, any alien who fails to give written notice to the Attorney General, as required by section 1305 of this title, shall be taken into custody and removed in the manner provided by part IV of this subchapter, unless such alien establishes to the satisfaction of the Attorney General that such failure was reasonably excusable or was not willful.

AR-11, it is free and easy to do. The green card would be mailed to the address on file, typically the one located on the Immigrant Data Sheet unless you changed it upon arrival with the US CBP officer, or have filed the AR-11. The I-551 comes in a standard mail envelope. If you have not received it in 120 days after entry, contact USCIS and inquiry. If you wait longer you will be liable to pay for the replacement. If there are any errors on the card, contact USCIS in an info pass, have a new i-90 form completed, there will be no charge to replace the card if the error is on the government.
              I have had issues with AR 11. Entered the USA Nov of 2016 to activate my GC. 6 days later i changed the address online (using USCIS system). apparently the address the GC got sent to was still the old address (so the address changed using AR11 was not used at all - but it is still the current valid address that USCIS holds) and my GC is missing in action right now. So the only conclusion i have now is to apply for a replacement. Sigh..

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
              X