Travel with pending felony charge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Travel with pending felony charge

I was recently arrested and charged with a felony. I was released on bond, but the case may take a good long while. My sister is going to have a baby soon in Europe, and I would like to travel to meet her. Could anyone advise as to whether I would be prevented from re-entering the US or detained by ICE/CBP upon entry?

Many thanks!l
    Last edited by mep; 05-25-2017, 10:05 PM.

What is your status in the US? I assume Green Card Holder?
    What is the felony charge? See below for things you should worry about.

Typically pending charges will only delay you. Pending charges wont make you inadmissible or deportable unless it is a drug trafficking charge.
    If all but a drug trafficking charge, a secondary exam will be done and you will be informed to travel with court documents in the future. If a court hearing is in the near future (within 30 or 60 days), a deferred inspection may be done in order to more expeditiously determine your admissibility or deportability. During the deferred inspection you will be required to return to a POE and present the outcome of the court proceedings.

9 FAM 302.3-2(B)(2) (U) Defining Moral Turpitude
    Anything drug related...

Comment

Originally posted by paroot View Post
      What is your status in the US? I assume Green Card Holder?
      What is the felony charge? See below for things you should worry about.

Typically pending charges will only delay you. Pending charges wont make you inadmissible or deportable unless it is a drug trafficking charge.
      If all but a drug trafficking charge, a secondary exam will be done and you will be informed to travel with court documents in the future. If a court hearing is in the near future (within 30 or 60 days), a deferred inspection may be done in order to more expeditiously determine your admissibility or deportability. During the deferred inspection you will be required to return to a POE and present the outcome of the court proceedings.

9 FAM 302.3-2(B)(2) (U) Defining Moral Turpitude
      Anything drug related...
      Thank you so much for your reply. I really appreciate it.

I am indeed a green card holder. It's not anything drug related, so I feel confident about that. There is likely to be a court date within the range you specified, but it's unlikely to resolve the issue (that will take months, if not years). I will have a lawyer or two on call in case things get tricky.

What court documents should I travel with?

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X