Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I have an E2; my wife has an L1; what happens if I resign?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have an E2; my wife has an L1; what happens if I resign?

Hello all, and apologies in advance for quite a complicated question.

My wife and I are from Ireland. I work for an Irish company with a US operation, and I am in the US on an E2 visa. My wife works for a US corporation, and is here on an L1 visa.

My question relates to my status if I cease employment with my company. If I wish to work for another company here in the US, and I resign from my current role, it makes sense that my E2 visa will no longer be valid.

Since my wife has an entirely separate L1 visa, I would be entitled to an L2 "spouse" visa. However, I'm wondering if, after leaving my current employment, I would need to leave the US and return to Ireland and go through an application process in order to obtain my L2 visa, or could I remain with my wife in the US?

Secondly - if my intention is to work for another company while on an L2, I would need to obtain an EAD. Is it at all possible, while I am still working on my E2 visa, to apply for the L2 visa and then the EAD? So that when I resign from my current role, I could start working another job soon after?

Thanks sincerely for any thoughts or advice...

Simon B.

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
X