Friends/Family

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Friends/Family

As I've mentioned in an earlier post my husband is scheduled for his interview June 22nd; however because of my low salarywe need a joint sponsor. My husband asked his friend who he have known for over 10 years to help him. He owns property as well as have an income that is beyond the poverty level. The friend declined although my husband have helped this person many times without hesitation. While I understand no one is obligated to help, how can a friend that claim to have a heart is not willing to help. How can his so called friend reject him at an important time like this? Based on this situation it's clear that this isn't a true friend. I've spoken to the friend and explained everything and his answer was that Im the sponsor and I must fill out the 864 form. I said I did, how do you think my husband got his EAD card? Sorry for the rant, but I am so angry right now. I just need support right now.

I wouldn't say someone who doesn't want to sponsor you is not a real friend. To sponsor someone takes a lot of thought, consideration and commitment. It also doesn't seem like the friend understands the whole process, based on his answer " his answer was that Im the sponsor and I must fill out the 864 form". Perhaps more time and insight will change his mind. He could also just be pretending not to understand so that he doesn't have to say "no" bluntly. Only you will know if you can approach this subject again, or not.

I'm sorry that you are in this situation. I hope you find another way.
    Last edited by NettieL; 05-27-2017, 12:46 PM.
    Not legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by NettieL View Post
      I wouldn't say someone who doesn't want to sponsor you is not a real friend. To sponsor someone takes a lot of thought, consideration and commitment. It also doesn't seem like the friend understands the whole process, based on his answer " his answer was that Im the sponsor and I must fill out the 864 form". Perhaps more time and insight will change his mind. He could also just be pretending not to understand so that he doesn't have to say "no" bluntly. Only you will know if you can approach this subject again, or not.

I'm sorry that you are in this situation. I hope you find another way.
      What you posted makes a lot of sense. I'm not sure which is it, but I'm gonna lean towards that maybe he doesn't understand the process. He came to America four decades ago under different circumstances, and not under these stringent guidelines. So, just maybe he doesn't understand. But even so, why couldn't he call and I would have been more than happy to explain it again. I think if we met face to face instead of via phone it probably would have been a different outcome.

Aside from that if we go to the interview without the joint sponsor would we get a RFE and more time to get a joint sponsor? Also, if I get a second job prior to the interview would it be okay?

I am at a standstill. All the long hours I've put into the paperwork and got everything approved without a lawyer or RFEs I am afraid it will go down the drain.

I will keep you all posted on this as it may help someone else.

Thanks for your insight as it was most appreciated.

Comment

Dear @Belloshore.

Unfortunately I don't have enough experience with the application process to advise you on the time frame regarding obtaining a second job or whether they will give you time to proof funds after the interview. @newacct or @inadmissable are much more knowledgeable and seem to be active members of this forum.

I can only support you in that I know how tough the process is and how much stress it causes. I don't think your story is unique and other members may benefit from your post. Thank you for sharing.

Best of luck.
        Not legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by NettieL View Post
          Dear @Belloshore.

Unfortunately I don't have enough experience with the application process to advise you on the time frame regarding obtaining a second job or whether they will give you time to proof funds after the interview. @newacct or @inadmissable are much more knowledgeable and seem to be active members of this forum.

I can only support you in that I know how tough the process is and how much stress it causes. I don't think your story is unique and other members may benefit from your post. Thank you for sharing.

Best of luck.
          NettieL, Thank you much for your support and responses.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
          X