Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F-2 Visa Holder Pressured by Spouse Need Advice

Hello,

My friend is in US as an F2 visa holder (dependent on her husband's student visa). They are having some issues in their marriage, and currently he is treating her very badly. No domestic violence as far as I know but he regularly calls her stupid, pathetic and so on. The situation is a bit complicated since with her visa she cannot work and she is completely dependent on him supporting her financially and apparently he does not give her money for anything she wants to do (for example if she wants to register in a course or go to the gym). So she is in this awkward position that she does not want to get a divorce but she also has no power in their relationship since she is financially completely dependent on her husband if she wants to live with him in the US. I was wondering if there are any ways for her to get help and become more independent from her husband while living in US. I don't think she can apply for an H1B1 visa since her degree is in Arts. (she paints drawings)

Thank you.

She might be able to get a job in the arts faculty, the University is a cap-exempt employer

She could get divorced and go home

She could get divorced, marry a US citizen, and do whatever she wants as a permanent resident

Comment

she can change her status to F1 visa and be independent.

Originally posted by pooya13 View Post
      Hello,

My friend is in US as an F2 visa holder (dependent on her husband's student visa). They are having some issues in their marriage, and currently he is treating her very badly. No domestic violence as far as I know but he regularly calls her stupid, pathetic and so on. The situation is a bit complicated since with her visa she cannot work and she is completely dependent on him supporting her financially and apparently he does not give her money for anything she wants to do (for example if she wants to register in a course or go to the gym). So she is in this awkward position that she does not want to get a divorce but she also has no power in their relationship since she is financially completely dependent on her husband if she wants to live with him in the US. I was wondering if there are any ways for her to get help and become more independent from her husband while living in US. I don't think she can apply for an H1B1 visa since her degree is in Arts. (she paints drawings)

Thank you.
      Last edited by samlynn; 08-24-2017, 04:33 PM.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X