Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mary with permanent green card

Hello all.
    I am a student, my visa F1 is almost due. But my school give me an OPT permit. So, can i get mary to a person only have 10 years Green Card? (Not yet US citizen) And then can i apply for my 2 years green card????
    OR, i need to get mary and apply my green card when my F1 Visa still not pass due day on i20??
    Appreciated for your help.

If you are free to marry (ie not already married to someone else) you may marry anyone else who is free to marry, regardless of the immigration issues

However, whether you can get a green card after marrying someone depends on the circumstances

If you were to marry a US citizen, an immigrant visa would be made available to you immediately. You could apply for adjustment of status and get work authorization. You will be authorized to work and remain in the United States even if your F-1 status lapses. You will be able to apply for adjustment of status and get work authorization even if you get married after your F-1 status lapses

If you were to marry a US permanent resident, an immigrant visa would not be immediately available to you. You can expect to wait 2 years before it is available. If your F-1 status remains valid at that time, you can then apply for adjustment of status. If your F-1 status lapses, you will have to leave the country and apply for the immigrant visa abroad when it is available. You can not apply for adjustment of status on the basis of marrying a permanent resident if you have any violations of your F visa and your F-1 status

Realistically, your F-1 status is coming to an end soon. Even if you get a STEM extension it will not bridge the gap until an immigrant visa is available to you on the basis of your marriage to a permanent resident. Your choices are to either plan to leave the country, or marry a US citizen instead. If your partner is eligible for naturalization, he or she should apply as soon as possible

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X