GC concern NTA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GC concern NTA

My parents have had green card for 5 years. They stay in USA for 6+ months every year (& remaining in home county).

While reentering USA this time, they were stopped at the port of entry. They were asked why they spend time in another country. Then the immigration officer came to speak with the family member who was at the airport for pickup. He explained why my parents travel back and forth. The officer mentioned that a NTA (Notice to appear) to immigration court would come.

Since the airport was noisy, the pickup person couldn't understand if he meant that a NTA would come in a few days OR if my parents continue to spend time in home country.

I have 2 follow up questions:
    (a) If we receive NTA, how do we defend Green Card?
    (b) If we do not receive NTA, how long should they be staying this time to prevent similar issues at the port of entry in future?

Thank you!

Originally posted by GCConcern View Post
    My parents have had green card for 5 years. They stay in USA for 6+ months every year (& remaining in home county).

While reentering USA this time, they were stopped at the port of entry. They were asked why they spend time in another country. Then the immigration officer came to speak with the family member who was at the airport for pickup. He explained why my parents travel back and forth. The officer mentioned that a NTA (Notice to appear) to immigration court would come.

Since the airport was noisy, the pickup person couldn't understand if he meant that a NTA would come in a few days OR if my parents continue to spend time in home country.

(b) If we do not receive NTA, how long should they be staying this time to prevent similar issues at the port of entry in future?

Thank you!
    Why not apply for naturalization since they have been holding the GC for more than 5 years?

Comment

Originally posted by GCConcern View Post

Thank you!
      Doesn`t seem like your parents want to permanently live in US. So, makes full sense that they are stopped and even lost their GCs. If they want to maintain it, they must show that they want to live here - not traveling only as long vacations. This is a question for your parents - not for forum - do they want to be in US or they just want to have the GC because it is nice to have???

An option would be to apply for citizenship but even having a GC for 5 years, with this "average" time in US they probably don`t meet the 30 months criteria. And, on top of everything, maybe they are not interested in learning the language or can lost their country`s citizenship (not all countries allow for dual citizenship) what, of course, will create problems for them to continue with this life in 2 countries.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X